G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a Brunton Fuel Tool for the first time today. It mated well and filled a partial tank Ida burn test OK but it was VERY hard to seat to the MSR 8oz isopro tank. It would not go past a thread or two by hand, needed pliers to finally get it on the tank far enough to open the seal. Easy enough to tell when it opened because pressing the Tool needle got a hiss. But a lot more force than I am comfortable with. Or are all threaded type tanks not equal?

Ida has no need for the mixed fuel but she is my quick & dirty test engine for such things.

Has anyone else used this tool?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The Brunton fuel tool works best with Primus 2202 canister threads, but even they are not all the same. Norm Saley stopped making thread-on fuel adapters because of the inconsistencies in threads among manufacturers. An article on the different fuel adapters available will be appearing in Steam in the Garden soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have noticed that even with the camping equipment that the thread on the canisters is not constant, not just between manufactures but even in lots of canisters by the same company. The basic problem is that the thread on the Canisters is a rolled form and therefore they tend to come up a bit big in the root dia. the thread is a 7/16" x 28 tpi UNS (unified Extra fine). I have been told that the best tapping size is 0.410" dia and that this will give appropriate thread engagement which will work for all canisters. I haven't ordered a tap in this size yet, but I found them at Tracy Tools in England.
Regards,
Gerald.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have sold a ton of these with no issues. You might want to try another can and see if it is the can or the fitting. The butane mixes do have a standard thread to fit all the camping stoves etc. But, as mentioned, there threads are rolled and not cut. It does not take much mishandling to damage the threads on the cans.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further test results are:
Brunton 4oz - easy by hand
Gigapower 4 & 8 oz - almost as easy
Jetboil 4 oz - slightly tighter
2nd sample MSR 8oz - similar to Giga & Jetboil
1st sample MSR was off the scale compared to others, but after that first hard pliers only threading, the can could then be inserted easily.
I do wish there was a positive way of telling when the can was on far enough to open the seal without depressing the needle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts