G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Yes, and I like it very much. as you can see I copied the condensate collector that someone posted a few years ago, keeps the trailing cars cleaner. When I first got it the burner went 'radiant' very easily, last time it didn't want to, I'm sure it was my doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The optional roof makes them look much better IMHO, a friend of mine has one and it has become his quick set and go engine to run among all his live steam locos. They need some run in time, but once thats done, they are sweet runners. The other upgrade he did was have an exhaust line made up to screw into the cylinder the pipe the exhaust either down to the track or up thru the roof instead of it blowing forward or back all over the train. I ran a condisate tank on mine that was plumbed to the cylinder, then up the face of the chimney.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
👍👍👍
Can't wait Royal Mail

Hurry It

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
The other upgrade he did was have an exhaust line made up to screw into the cylinder
I'd forgotten that some have a loose exhaust. There was a long discussion about it on GSC, as some fall out. Mine is tight and points down to the track, but Mike is correct that a condensate tank or exhaust screwed in and routed to the roof (if you have one) would help.
You can see the exhaust in action on this short clip:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Mike from your description I have one of the earlier versions, simply a hole in the cylinder side. The condensate tank is held in place by friction at the hole and a magnet adhered to the bottom. lotsasteam, if things haven't changed since I got mine, you will also get a little package w replacement seals and O rings. If you look down the stack into the boiler center can see one of the reasons it produces so much steam, there is a coil of tubing connected to the bottom and top of the boiler, directly over the ceramic burner.
I decided to enhance mine with some left over teak deck planking.
Rolling Gas Audio equipment Engineering Circuit component
Train Steam engine Rolling Toy Gas

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
The condensate tank is held in place by friction at the hole and a magnet adhered to the bottom.
I put a similar tank on my "Otto", made of a 1/2" pipe closure fitting with a hole in the bottom draining sludge on to the track. A washer on top has the steam feed from the cylinders, and the exhaust up to the roof.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Rather than dump sludge on the track to be picked up by subsequent equipment, I prefer to collect and dump it elsewhere. Just a personal preference there is no right or wrong way.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Couple observations concerning the Brunel: I sometimes fire up my LS in the utility room, which has CO and Gas detectors. All of my other locos, all Butane, some with radiant poker and 1 other ceramic burner, will start showing gas within 10 minutes of firing and if left alone they will start screaming in about 5 minutes more. The Brunel will come to a boil and spin along on rollers for about 20 minutes before any detection is made. Also, found the jet in the Roundhouse Praririe appear to be interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well,got my Brunel
Runs like a Roundhouse
Am I lucky or what?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The exhaust tread is an odd size any idea what will fit ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts