G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after all these years I think I may have found a color I personally like to paint my mainline rail.
Burl Rice got me thinking about it on one of his threads.
I've tried using flat black, red primer, mix of others.
BUT
Camo flat brown did the trick.
Its not black , but it has the used steel look.
photos later
I just have not liked the redish tin of "rust" colors
Its raining now.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I don't like the monotone of just one color, so I borrowed a page from Krylon and do the following:

First, I put on a basecoat of flat black, wait for it to dry thoroughly, then mist a fine spray of water on the rail, and follow it with the same cammo brown that Marty suggested. The cammo brown will not stick where the water is, so you get a random mix of the two colors. I like it, it looks more "rusty."

Film at 11, as they say.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 04/10/2008 2:23 PM
after all these years I think I may have found a color I personally like to paint my mainline rail.
Burl Rice got me thinking about it on one of his threads.
I've tried using flat black, red primer, mix of others.
BUT
Camo flat brown did the trick.
Its not black , but it has the used steel look.
photos later
I just have not liked the redish tin of "rust" colors
Its raining now.

OK..., so let's see if I've got this straight... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

With batteries you can be lazy and not clean the track..., but then you do have to paint it. Sounds like a fair trade-off to me. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Paint rails?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif Ok I will hold the can and push the button. You move the rails back and forth.:D

You guys keep him bussy, I'll call the "HOME"

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good one Todd
Its makes photos more "real"

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
why paint rails when you can use steel ones and replace them eventually as they wear down like the real ones?

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Posted By SE18 on 04/11/2008 6:31 AM
why paint rails when you can use steel ones and replace them eventually as they wear down like the real ones?

Agh - don't try it! My understanding is that the rusting will continue until all you have is a little pile of dust, not a rail!

Marty - I found some darker brown primer, probably a little lighter than your camo brown, but certainly better than the bright red primers. I used to spray the rails before putting them in the track bases - then oyu get the contrast between the ties and the steel rails.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Posted By Trains on 04/11/2008 7:10 AM
Marty,
Do you have any photos? I might have to do that before I lay my track.

The rail in the foreground is painted with one coat of Krylon camo brown only, just as Marty describes. It's been there a few years, and so is a little dusty.

The rail in the back received a base of camo brown plus a little red oxide primer.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Last year I replaced about 150 feet of brass code 332 track with a mixture of aluminum, nickel silver and stainless steel Sunset Valley code 250 track and weathered all of it with the camoflage brown. I really does look great and seems to have held up OK over the winter.

Actually, brass track eventually oxidizes to quite a believable dark brown and I never have painted any of the brass. The aluminum, stainless steel and nickel silver code 250 track just does not offer that advantage and the camoflage paint is how I got around it.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Where you guys finding the 1/29 th scale paint rollers to paint your track.:D Ozark Minatures?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Registered
467 Posts
Guys, I am not sure about this. One of the basic rules of life I have noticed is that once you paint something, sooner or later, you have to paint it again. I will take my stainless track, that all I have to do is run trains on it. No cleaning, no painting, no repainting, and no drips runs or errors. Done deal.
Paul

·
Registered
222 Posts
Posted By bottino on 04/14/2008 7:53 AM
Guys, I am not sure about this. One of the basic rules of life I have noticed is that once you paint something, sooner or later, you have to paint it again. I will take my stainless track, that all I have to do is run trains on it. No cleaning, no painting, no repainting, and no drips runs or errors. Done deal.
Paul

Some of you guys seem to have confused painting track with improving its efficiency. It's is not about operations, it about appearance. Some of use aren't happy with unrealistic shiny brass/ss/aluminum track -- that's why we paint.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By pdk on 04/14/2008 11:38 AM
Posted By bottino on 04/14/2008 7:53 AM
Paul

Some of you guys seem to have confused painting track with improving its efficiency. It's is not about operations, it about appearance. Some of use aren't happy with unrealistic shiny brass/ss/aluminum track -- that's why we paint.

Our brass hasn't shined in years (except the surface where it is cleaned). Hence, no need to paint even for aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I use aluminum rail and have found that it takes and retains paint quite nicely. Rail that was painted using the techniques described in the link I provided above has held up almost without blemish through four winters. There are a couple of small spots where I scratched the rail myself but none due to age or weather. The plastic ties shed paint much more than the rail but I like the rather tattered look the they assume so no problem there for me.

As to brass rail I have to agree with Todd at least for outdoors. A previous RR I had laid with LGB brass track discolored to a nice brown color after only a couple of years and really didn't need painting.

I don't know about stainless except I would imagine that a good primer would be essential if the paint is to adhere. It's not called "stainless" for nothing. It might even need to be etched a bit on the rail sides.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Marty,

For my indoor layout I've been using Rust-O-leum Camoflage "Earth Brown".
I really like the look and color.
Here's a picture.

Brian B.
DT&I 1980ish

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brain, it does look great, so does your cars.
I ONLY paint my rail at the start ,,,ONCE. Then later it does turn on its own.
The only reason I'm painting the reworked section,,,,again,,, is that there is a mix of colors that I don't like.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts