G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a locomotive bell that was supposed to be brass....but it does not look like brass to me. Its not iron....it's not magnetic.....when I polish it up it does not look like Chrome?? It has a grey color to it.
The bell itself has a 13" rim and is 9" tall. It has "1941" cast into the arm. Very heavy

anyone have an idea
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Tin, or some alloy with a low melting point for economical casting?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
When you ring it does it continue ringing for a while or does it stop fairly quickly?

Brass doesn't ring very long after being struck. "Bell Bronze" has that classic long bell ring sound.

My guess is bell bronze. Usually made up of mostly Tin and Copper with other metals in the mix.

Could even be a "Steel Bell" like you'd find on some diesel locos.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Peweter?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If it was made in 1941, it was during WW2 and copper was scarce. it was used in the brass of artillery shells. I would imagine the bell was cast from a low copper alloy rather than bell bronze leaving more copper for the war effort which may explain the grey look. Of course the '1941' may not be the year it was made though.

Pewter is a grey looking alloy but the lead content would make the bell's ring dull in tone.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Andrew, the tone was never mentioned, based on the metal description, pewter fit the bill, it does polish up, by hand and it ain't chrome.
If rung it would go 'Bonk'

My guess is a reproduction for display, not use.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts