G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In detailing my flanger model, I've run across a little problem. And in case the subject has more generic application, I've parked this issue here, separate from the flanger thread.

I've been looking for what other detail items to include, the brakes seem a very prominent feature to ignore.

After messing with this a little, I can see why the brakes aren't (from what I've noticed) usually modeled prototypically, that is, hung from the chassis (vs. cast with the truck frame). The truck swing on our tight radii curves would tangle the brakes with the wheel flanges.

Still... there's sure a lot of detail there. So before I say adios to it for my flanger model, here's a few questions.

Has anyone hung the brakes prototypically, but further away from the wheels to allow truck swing? If so, can someone point me to a thread or page? Also, for the linkage, is there a thread or page explaining what Ozark parts to get, or (simple) parts to make?

Thanks for any tips!

===>Cliffy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
I haven't done much with brakes on models. The Steve king 7/8th scale passenger trucks include brakes, hung from the truck frame... That is my experience limit.

However volunteering at the WW&F, I have seen truck hung and frame hung brakes. The frame hung brakes hang on chains and have quite free motion. They also have little bars which rub against the inside of the wheels keeping them lined up even around curves. They tend to squeak and clank and rattle as the car moves down the track!

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I've found it visually acceptable to "hang" the shoes from the trucks, and leave the prototypical linkage that hangs the brake beams from the frame to the imagination.

You can see the brake beams on the truck here. The linkage which would hang the beams from the frame is in the shadows. Here's how it's "really" attached to the truck:

I'd try something like that with your flanger and see what you think of it. I think with the wheels so close to the end of the car, the lack of brake shoes would be noticeable.

Later,

K

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Kevin, thanks, I sure wouldn't have thought of that approach. Really clever, securing that center beam with the existing truck fasteners, and letting the brakes move with the truck. Excellent!

Did you make the center beam from styrene? Also, did you make your own brake show beams, or get the Hartford kit?

I'd probably go with 3DP for the center beam, but using Ozark shoes and cedar shoe beams.

Thanks again,
Cliff

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For underside brake linkage, anyone have a good Ozark part number? I can't seem to find what I think I need on their site.

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All you need is brake shoes...rest is parts..rod or wood!
You bet Dirk. Seems like a simple and elegant solution. Got the shoes on order, have the brass & wood.

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've looked thru Ozark's site a few times, and can't see any linkage kits. I have the air cylinder & brakes, I just need the levers & etc.... Any other sources?

[edit]

Y'know, after pondering the Car Builder's Dict. diagrams, I think I'll stand down on brake linkages for this model.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Found a box car drawing dated 1874....shown with complete brakes system...including air lines and resevoir tank....

V&T 1013, box car

SD

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You bet they did Dirk. Where'd you find the drawing?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Random search...VnT rolling stock....

Sent you link for car..... In your mail..

Of interest..tho....following reading material...dates are given for when air brakes were added to this car....you may need to choose a time period ...if you haven't yet..!!

More to ponder buddy..

Dirk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts