G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday a week ago, Cliff from Accucraft called me to confirm which 4-4-0 stack I had that was starting to unsolder itself. In today's mail, a small box appeared with both the replacement stack and a set of mainrods/crossheads and new siderods. The new wristpin is a shoulder bolt which threads into the inside of a two-sided crosshead body, a vast improvement over the original design. Thanks to Cliff, for following through.
I am currently running with Taperpin's revised wristpins, and have experienced something I have not yet quite figured out. When first run, my 4-4-0 ran on my ballasted track flawlessly. Since installing the replacement wristpins, which project further than the rivet did on the inside of the crosshead, the engine had started hopping and sometimes derailing the pilot truck as it came around one particular curve (11 ft radius). I added some extra superelevation there, and the problem seems to have gone away. I think the stud/nut on the inside of the mainrod is tangling with the rear pilot truck wheel, but I have not been able to confirm it, as there are no wear marks or nicks.
Anyone else running with Taperpin's wristpins experience any change in tracking?

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I have been running Gordon's design wristpins and have found no issues. The only issue you may come up with that I can see is if you make the shoulder too wide the rod can ride on the support bracket. Other than that I see no way they can interfere on a 11' radius.....Could be the springing on the front truck hanging up somewhere or the wheel catching on something too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts