G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the northern logging railroad fans, I spotted an interesting book at the library,
“Alaska/Yukon Railroads: An Illustrated History, Howard Clifford, Oso Publishing, 1999, Originally published as “Rails North, Superior Publishing Company, Seattle, 1982.”
It’s 240 pages long with lots of pictures, and detailed information about locomotive rosters etc.  From the table of contents Chapter lists; White Pass and Yukon Route, Taku Tram, Whitehorse Tramways, Klondike Short Lines, Alaska Central Railway, Alaska Northern Railway, The Alaska Railroad Commission and the birth of the AEC, Alaska Railroad, Tanana Mines Railway and Tanana Valley Railroad, Yakuta and Southern Railroad, Valdez and the Keystone Canyon Caper, Katalla, Where the Rails meet the Sails, Copper River and Northwestern Railway, Wild Goose, Geese, or Gooses?, Council City and Solomon River Railroad, Seward Peninusula, Minor Railroads in Alaska and the Yukon (Too many to list, but includes some narrow gauge), and On the Drawing Board.

I haven’t had a chance yet to read it cover to cover, but flipping through it looks like a great resource… It’s tempting me to make the move from the modern era to the early 20th Century. I don’t know too much about how available this book is, like I said I happened to run across it at the local library.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That book is put out by www.osorail.com and is available for $42.95 (plus s&h of course). They have a lot of great books on R/Rs. I bought one on the Climax engine some time ago, and it was probably about as much as anyone could find out about them with many, many great pictures. Mine is signed by the 3 authors.

Hmmm...now you've gotten me in trouble again!:) Oh well, maybe the stimulation package will come along soon!!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By bnsfconductor on 01/28/2008 5:41 PM
To all the northern logging railroad fans, I spotted an interesting book at the library,
“Alaska/Yukon Railroads: An Illustrated History, Howard Clifford, Oso Publishing, 1999, Originally published as “Rails

I have both the old and new version of that book here, which really is an excellent reference--the most complete one of its type I have seen that covers all the railroads ever built in Alaska and the Yukon.   I should point out, though, that there were no logging railroads in Alaska. As  far as the narrow gauge, as you know, I am working on four of them on my Phase III project--the Klondike shortlines.  There were several others, including several on the Seward Peninsula in the Nome goldfields area and, of course, the Tanana Mines Railroad out of Chena near Fairbanks. 

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will have to look at my library and see if I have this book. I really love the RRs in Alaska from the years I spent in the state.

Art

1 - 4 of 4 Posts