G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a little off topic for this list, but I don't know where else to ask this question.

Has anyone on this list bought Christian Cenac's book "The Billerica & Bedford Railroad, America's first 2 foot railroad and its second life, the Sandy River Railroad."
With shipping, it is about $190.00 US. This makes you kind of gulp. I have a couple of his books from many years ago and they are plum full of drawings and some narrative about the subject. It sounds like a great book, but, wow makes you think!

http://cenac-france.com/en/index.php?mod=home

Dan

·
Registered
620 Posts
Up in the Air Dan,

This must be a rare book as it doesn't come up on either Amazon or ABE book searches.
Down Below Dan,

You are a fount of knowledge!!! Isn't your filing cabinet pretty full?

G

·
Hi Bruce,
I think the only location to buy the book is direct from Christian's website. He said on the 7/8ths yahoo group that he likes to know who is buying the book. It was only just released a few months ago.
Dan

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey Dan R.,

Got the web site address?

Duh, old age got me again, I found it by opening my eyes to the first post.

The price makes it only $1.73 per page or $1.79 per drawing. Not as bad as just $190.00.

Plus there are eight watercolors.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have not seen Christian's book but a friend has a copy and though nicely done with some photographs I understand it has lots of the same drawings in different scales.

A more budget concious book is "America's First Two-Foot Gauge Railroad The Billerica & Bedford of Massachusetts" which is a publication of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. and Museum, 58 Fore Street, Portland Maine 04101 January 2000. This booklet is a reprint of the article in the Railroad Gazette dated 1879. It contains a lot of info and some drawings.
Later this year I plan on offering a run of 1:19 B&B turntable kits based on the drawings in this book.

Jack

G

·
Jack,
You made me reach for my calculator any chance of a turn table in 1:13.7 for G1 or is a 1:19 for O gauge the only one you plan to offer?
Dan
SA 13.7

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Dan Rowe,

The 1:19 though ideally 32mm gauge would probubly morre often than not be built for G1. 1:13.7 would be a possibility but not as simple as 1:19 due to size. Though I know there is a small following of 1:13.7 I have no idea of how many would be willing to purchase the B&B in that scale. I currently offer this in 1:48.

Jack

G

·
Well you might be right about not many buyers in 7/8ths scale the 16 MM groups are much larger. So far 13.7 has sucessfully managed to avoid any suport from large or medium size makers of Locos rolling stock or other bits.

I am new on this forum but no one had taken SA 13.7 so that only proves the point that it is a small scale.

It never hurts to ask.

Cheers
Dan Rowe
SA 13.7

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Its been talked about a bit on the Maine 2-footer modeling sites..
the general consensus has been..nice book, but about 140 dollars overpriced.

Here is one review from a person who bought the book..I will just copy and paste it since its from a yahoo forum,
which you would have to join to read:

> Dr. Cenec's B&B book arrived today and frankly, I feel taken. It's
> worth, at best, a quarter of the $182 I paid. The drawings are
> beautiful - crisp and well-done, but many are of little use. Do we
> really need each one printed in five scales? And how about those
> disections of trucks and locomotives? The photos are less crisp -
> actually pretty muddy. There is some new information, but enough of
> the information and drawings are simply incorrect, which leads me to
> suspect all the rest. What a disappointment! -Wes Ewell

G

·
Well Sir,
I had no trouble finding a more complete review by Wes Ewell and others on this public yahoo site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaineTwoFooters/
Simply search for Cenac for those who like to read all the reviews, some folks were not nearly so critical.
I have drawn a few Shay locomotives from LLW prints and I know how much work it takes to make accurate drawings....
I have seen a few of Christian's drawings and they are first class.

Direct link to COMPLETE Wes Ewell review: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaineTwoFooters/message/4209

Just my 0.02 $ worth.

G

·
The book is reviewed by Bob Brown in the current issue of "NG & SL Gazette". Jan/Feb 2009.
The review describes the book and states that it is "outstanding" "This book is a mass of information and belongs in the library of any 2 foot historian or modeler."
Dan Rowe SA 13.7

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
ALL

I have four of Christian Cenac's books. Thhey are all sef-published, which by definition raises the price to the edges of extreme. I have to admit that the "script like" font is not my favorite and the use of wide line spacing makes the textual material take fully 25% more space than would be typical. Having it as a bi lingual book with approximate English translations of the French, [paragraph by paragraph] also increases the page count. I did ask Christian why the drawings were incorporated into the bound volume instead of as a separate set like he did for the Tasmanian K1 garratt. Simple answer, printing cost and hand labor to fold all the individual sheets, which he did himself [that is the epitome of "self publishing]. Personally, I enjoyed the watercolors that were included, even though they don't contribute to the technical value of the book. I did not ask the reason for all the drawings at different scales; convenience for the reader I suppose. I am biased and would have rather had one set as a separate grouping. Take to a copy shop and enlarge as necessary.

I agree twith Wes that sometimes erroneous information is propagated through these books. This is why I usually have multiple sources to compare. I think Dr. Cenac made a serious effort to have an interesting and technically correct [in so far as he knew] volume on a subject that has not had a lot of material assembled for the general reader.

Bottom line, very good book, less than perfect, high price [ but probably consistent with actual cost along with a modest return to the author]. Dr. C will not be able to give up medicine and live on his publishing income.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.