G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am pretty well versed in the larger size boiler for live steam(3/4" and 1.5" scale) I am a newbie in all the different types of boilers for the little critters. I've done a lot of reading hear, and sadly many of the good threads no longer have pictures or the links in the posts are long dead. Is there a good reference on the different types of boilers and fuels? Even a diagram showing them would be useful. The purpose is to scratch build a loco(or two!)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
PJ,
I would suggest that you first decide on what fuel you wish to use.
Coming from the large scales, you might already have a preference.
Then what size locomotive are you going to build, so that will give you an idea as to the diameter and volume of boiler needed.
Then you can zero in on what type of boiler will best serve your requirements.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
as Davis says, it depends on what you want to build. A center flue boiler is the simplest and works fine for low steam requirements though it is not exactly quiet.
If you are going with a larger engine and want plenty of steam, I like the locomotive type boiler which you are probably familiar with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah so the locomotive type is cetainly an option. But I was thinking of a fueling with either gas or alcohol. First build will probably be on the smaller side, but not 0-4-0 small, like a 4-6-0, or older type 2-8-0, like the Ma & Pa #26. I have seen these other types of boilers and they all look like somewhat an easier build. Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts