G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use for boiler paint? I am repainting my boiler green, and would like some suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Mark,

Which loco? Does it have cladding (a wrapper over the boiler shell)? I have used ordinary spray enamel on the cladding (wrapper) on a Roundhouse boiler. There are also some firms that make special high-temperature enamels, in colors, for wood burning stoves. Try some creative Google searches. For flat black paint I have used spray "barbeque" paint from the hardware store.

Steve

·
Registered
151 Posts
Engine paint, available from car part stores come in a wide variety of colors and is heat resistant. Finding the right green might be difficult though...

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Thanks for the ideas of where to look. I have some BBQ paint, but I think I will take a look at the auto parts stores first for that higher temperature engine paint.

It is a Roundhouse steam locomotive, but I do not think it actually has a boiler wrapper. The boiler bands are simply bands of brass that are connected underneath the boiler, but do not do anything other than provide some decoration.

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Mark,

I have used regular automotive paint in spray cans from auto parts stores on the smoke box of my Aster Berk. Automotive paints have to withstand a lot of extremes. No problem so far. An engine paint would probably be better still, but the available colors might be limited.

Mike

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Greetings. Painting a boiler jacket from scratch can be easy, but it is also a little expensive. At the suggestion of Bob Weltyk of Weltyk's Whistles, I took a new, but badly scratched boiler jacket for an Aster Jumbo to a local auto paint supply store. They did a spectrum analysis of the original jacket and mixed their minimum batch of 16 oz. and put it into spray cans with special nozzles. Of course you have to wet sand and properly clean the jacket before painting. On recommendation from the paint store, I used 600 grit wet sandpaper, then washed it with soap and water and finally washed it down with alcohol. Before painting, I used a hair blower to make sure the jacket was completely dry. Because of the makeup of the paint, you must have a very well ventilated area and the temp should be 70 degrees. I applied 4 thin coats at about 15 minute intervals and then baked the painted jacket. Instructions say to bake it in a preheated oven at 140 degrees for 40 minutes. Our oven will only go down to 180, so I gambled with the higher temperature and it worked well. Also, per Bob's recommendation I left the jacket in the oven after turning it off to let it cool gently. The paint supply guys said properly applied paint will withstand 600 degrees without difficulty. When the jacket cooled, I compared it to the factory painted steam dome cover. The color of the newly painted jacket was indistinguishable from the factory paint job, regardless of the light [direct sun, flourescent, haolgen, incandescent or just a bright room]! Because of the minimum order, I now have enough paint for 7 more boiler jackets, tender shells or even coaches. The cost for the spectrum analysis, paint and spray cans was $72 plus tax. Would I do it again? Absolutely, even though the paint is expensive, the value of a properly painted vs. badly scratched locomotive more than makes up for the cost. Good luck. Will Lindley

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
With my last reply I should have mentioned that the color I was matching was Aster's "Novelty Red". Sorry. Will Lindley

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will,

Great advice! Luckily, I am not trying to match any specific paint, so I will take a look at the selection of paints.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I use plain old Rust-Oleum from Home Depot or Ace Hardware. These engines don't get hot enough to fry a good enamel. I used the Rust-Oleum silver on my smoke box front and it is sitll holding up. Whatever paint Accucraft used on their smoke box just melts away. The Rust-Oleum seems to hold up just fine. By the way, a friend of mine tried using the heat resistant flat black automotive paint on his K27 and it turned green.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts