G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Texas Transportation Museum is in the final stages of getting our 1:1 Porter switcher back in operating condition. The snag has come in insuring it. I know some of you are involved with 1:1 live steam operations and would appreciate it you could make some suggestions  regarding a source for this insurance.
Jim Shutt
SAGRES

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Theres always the:

2 mil coverage in insurance, you give the insurance company a check for the full amount, and they "hold on to it" for ya

Doh

Andrew..

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
FRIENDS OF THE TEXAS STATE RAILROAD
P.O. Box 2074
Palestine, Texas 75802
1-866-729-5543

Jim, since you're in Texas you might try the Texas State Railroad. They have several working locomotives.
Pat

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Jim.
Porter?? I thought that engine was a Baldwin. Now I will have to go dig in my arcives. There should be old documentation when we had the engine running down at the Pearl Brewery back in the 60's. Some one should have the files. Mabey not. I built a diorama in HO scale for the museum back in 77/78 when we had several open houses. Haven't seen the place since. Dick of Dick's Hobbies donated all the materials.
Noel

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad. It is, of course a Baldwin. Typing faster than thinking. We are currently buying 1 tool that will allow us to finish the work and get the engine certified at an even higher pressure than it used to run at. Bottom line though is we still need insurance. Thanks for the thoughts above. Any others?
Jim Shutt
SAGRES

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Jim,
Contact the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors at 1055 Crupper Ave, Columbus OH 43229-1183 They have a free Bulletin published three times a year. Their Insurance Company advisor is Mr Charlds G Schaber. The  e-mail address for them is [email protected]   Don't have a phone number, but that should be available through the Columbus directory assistance. I will look for more information on them for you. Suscribe to the Bulletin. Very informative and it is free.
Also check with Hartford Insurance. They are the oldest boiler/pressure insurance underwriters in the country or once were. 
Noel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts