G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Idiots such as that will result in the loss of our hobby. Not only did the person risk the safety and well being of self but others there during the filming.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
And did it all IN a building with WOOD floors. Real DUMB with a capital STUPID. Still, I would like to know a whole lot more particulars on what happened. Construction method, and what actually burst... pipes or the boiler itself?

EDIT: what looked like the floor to me initially is actually a table, and may be a wood print plastic laminate table at that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I sure would like more information on this incident.

Was there a pressure gauge in use? If so what pressure was it reading at time of incident?
What part or part ruptured?
What experiance did the "operators" have?
What experiance did the designer of the system have?
Was this the first time the boiler was fired?
What was the purpose of this "test"?
Are there pictures of the system after the event?
What was the WD 40 comment and what was the WD 40 used for?

We all should be able to learn from this incident if we can get an understanding of the total "picture" related to the incident.

I have often felt like an idiot when making a mistake. But I try to learn and not make the same one again.

Does anyone know how to get answers to the above questions?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Dave,
If you have a YouTube account, you can post the questions in the comment section. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Okay good suggestion.

I wil make the posting on YouTube if I can get an account working. I tried signing up but am not getting confirmation email and I am unable to make the posting.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I have PM'd the poster of the video... I'll relay to here any comment I get back.

From the other videos posted by the same person, quite frankly, it looks like the folk populating Halley Base in Antartica have been there much too long!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I wonder........maybe no H20 in that vessel, rather weasel juice (WD-40)?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Okay, I got my comments posted on YouTube. It was a condensed version due to charater limit.

At the You Tube site there are actually two videos. One is a video comment to the origional posting.

It is in the video comment that WD 40 is used. Now that video really makes one wonder wheter the folks involved are thinking safety.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
"Now that video really makes one wonder wheter the folks involved are thinking safety." Obviously not!

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
They defiantly where not to bright. Using a blow torch to heat and no pressure gauge Yikes. Lucky they did not hurt someone. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Dave -- Use Coal on 12/13/2008 3:19 PM
Okay, I got my comments posted on YouTube. It was a condensed version due to charater limit.

At the You Tube site there are actually two videos. One is a video comment to the origional posting.

It is in the video comment that WD 40 is used. Now that video really makes one wonder wheter the folks involved are thinking safety.

At the beginning of the Halley Base video (the one linked to in this thread) one of the people says "Take 2 -- We've added WD-40" and an other then says "a vital component of any sophistacated piece of machinery". Then one says: "and we've tweaked the pressure release valve". There are some other words spoken amidst some laughter but I am not too sure what is said.

Later someone says something about "need a volunteer" but I cannot tell the context or the reply before more laughter.

Just before the kaboom one says: "We need to open that tap fairly soon because the pressure's now..." KABOOM. I hear a light rising-in-frequency "whine" just before that part but I cannot tell if it is from the boiler, the torch, someone speaking in the background or some other source (maybe a door squeeking).

I am unable to pause the video except a certain places. I did get one frame captured that shows that the boiler left the frame and went to the right and the whole apparatus seems to be rotating clockwise after it, which suggests the left end cap gave way.

At the end, someone asks "is everyone alright?"

I cannot tell for sure, but that may be a pressure gauge on the left-top of the boiler, (the middle may be the "tweaked" pressure valve and the right side is the steam take off).

The boiler appears to be a 2-inch copper pipe with very thin, short (1/4-inch high) rimmed, copper end caps (as opposed to another style of end cap that has 2-inch sides and is as thick as the pipe material).

There does not appear to be a lot of solder at any of the seams (end caps and the three holes in the top), so either it was "well soldered" or just cleaned well after soldering, or maybe it was "glued".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts