G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I haven't posted much lately but I've been busy with projects around the house and improvements to the Door Hollow Shortline. This loco has been in the back of my mind for a long time. It is a plastic "Monogram??" model and I finally bought a kit at a swap meet. I had no idea just how big it was and would it be adaptable to 45 mm track. I used Bachmann 10 wheeler drivers (with the plastic spoke faces removed) which proved to be just a little bit bigger than the kit wheels. It was necessary to trim away some of the frame to gauge it to the track. The wheels JUST clear the boiler. The trailing wheels are B'mann pilot wheels. The power is in the tender and is a Hartland "Woodie" unit. All four wheels in the tender are Hartland and pick up current from LGB carbon plungers. The Hartland wheels are solid and the spoke effect is a result of turning down B'mann pilot wheels from original all plastic engines to make spoke inserts. The motor goes up inside the water tank and is barely visible. Making parts that are designed to be glued in place to actually function was a real challenge. It ran a bit jerkily in Del Mar and I'll try to correct that before the Anaheim show.

Will we see you in Anaheim, Chris? It's been a long time. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures in this new program and fill in the blanks.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Bob, I was wondering what you were up to, as it has been several months since we met. I still marvel over your modeling skills and you shop, which is so neat and tidy. I was hoping to see you at the Anaheim show, but we'll be in Hawaii. Perhaps Costa Mesa, later this year?

·
Vendor
3,322 Posts
It's always a pleasure to open a post to see Bob's "latest creation" and to see what he's done with the left over parts that have fallen to the floor. Who knows what will come next from that intricate, creative mind....

Super job, Bob. A new and wonderful addition to the Door Hollow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts