G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At diamondhead 2009:

Yves Guillaume let me borrow some of his infamous bituminous coal to run in my coal fired ruby for show and after trying it I have to find a source of this stuff lol.

I was running another engine, my dad went over and asked him where he got the stuff, and its from a friend of a friend of a friend in england. Im going to start calling it welsh bituminous coal.
It doesn't clinker like the Pocahontas stuff I have and the smoke from it lingers and the odor is great and I made a decision to try and track this stuff down even if I have to order samples around and try it out.

I know that you need a healthy welsh coal fire to support it and only throw in a few chunks on top to get the smoke going.

I was wondering if anyone else has good smoking coal that doesn't clinker like that stuff.

Example of the type of smoke I am looking for (yves C62 coal fired from diamondhead 2008). Yes my ruby did smoke the same when I used the sample I had from him!

Let the video load for a bit(press pause), I put this on hd mode.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Andrew, saw you running your Ruby on John Fullers webcam, you seem to have got it sorted, I use Anthracite beans for running our coal fired engines, it burns away to slight ash and does not clinker, it is also hotter than Welsh Steam Coal, for smoke efects I use some ordinary household coal mixed in, but too much will soot up you flues.
The problem you have is that nobody stocks Anthacite in the states that I am aware of, and to export it to you costs a fortune, I always try and bring some over to DH but as you know we did not attend this year, hopefully next year we will.
Good Steaming
David Bailey www.djbengineering.co.uk

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my local 7.5" gauge club also has Anthracite that I will try, as for running, the welsh coal I have works perfect atm.

But the smoke effects is what I am after. I don't know what household coal would be called in the states

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Household coal is usually called stoker coal and is used in alot of places where coal is mined. Anthracite coal is more difficult to light than bituminous but does a good job. A guy at work uses anthracite for heating his home and I can ask him about it if you wish.

Johnny

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking for the dirty stuff that puts on a show :p , but doesn't clinker too bad, that is the sole purpose (I know it is a lot to ask but the stuff does exist lol)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got a pallet of "Forgers Coal" out of far eastern Nebraska that smokes pretty good in my 1.5 engine.
It smokes so well that it soots up the flues within one hour's run time if used straight. I mix it 25% with Colorado mined semi anthracite with good smoke effects.
I located the smokey coal thru a Farriers Supply outfit (horse shoeing).

·
Registered
233 Posts
In my shed are three burlap bags of somekind of coal that was purchased with the intent of using it in a full sized steamboat we once had. All I do know is the coal is from Pennslvania.I will try to remember to bring a bag to Diamondhead next year and we will see what it is. If you send me an email just a before next diamondhead it will help me remember.

In the mean time I have a good supply of Welch coal purched for Cole's Models several years ago. This coal does have to be broken down for use in gauge one engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts