G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 452 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Chuck,
I agree totally with ya, must not listen to some of the mis lead people over on the other forum, they just like buying defective locos out of the box so the can spend all that money in shipping to send them back for repair.. most anyway, i honestly swear if there leader told them to walk off a bridge some of those guys would...but any way you just scares the **** out of me cuss i just got off the phone with jim from g scale and ordered a few more peices including a BIGBOY # 4000
I didnt check to see if it was in stock but i did now and it was/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gifi also odered a bunch more intermodels and containers, that puts me at a 100 intermodel SWEET... also got 3 of those UP sd 70's with the heritage paint, nice looking in the pictures so we will see when they arrive... by the way,Jim tryed to sell me a MALLET can you imagine that, me buying any more aristo products NOTTTTTTT..... be a cold day in **** when that happens again...... USA engines rule.. SO SAYITH ME... by the way if anyone looking for a good deal on mallets 425.00 out the door at g scale junction.... Jim be your man..
Nick.:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh by the way, i very saddend that Ray would not let me break in his bigboy for him/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif:Dit deserves more than 500ft of run time, somebody have Ray address i'l have to take a run over there and convince him that running his with mine will break it in easyer HE HE HE/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif
Nick...

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Nick, WOW a 100 intermodals?? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

Now if we use 3 USAT Big Boys & DCS them with enough cars it would beat that guy out west trying to pull the worlds longest train..all with one MTH remote..:cool:
But who's got 2,000' of track?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Man that IS a serious bunch of intermodals! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif" border=0> LOL

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I heard they were having trouble coordinating all the operators. I think they were using some battery powered based control? This would be the perfect use for DCS and it's optically monitored speed control. Chuck, since you experimented with DCC (and trashed it for DCS), how would you compare the DCC speed control to DCS? Is the DCC (back EMF?) as precise and offer the same 120 speed stop level of control as DCS? Does it react as quickly to changes? It would seem an optical monitor would be quicker than trying to detect back EMF. You are the only one here who has had the practical experience with both and would be the best to answer the question.

Oh and I think I have 1500ft of SS stored for future use. I'm sure Nick has enough to put it over the 2000ft length. ArticulatedAl I think may actually have available real estate to build a layout of that size and has a USA BB of his own. :cool: That's four that would be under DCS right there.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Every now and then an Aster Big Boy comes around for sale. They did also offer it in electric and they sell for less then the steam version, and look just as beautifull.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK LETS BREAK THE RECORD EAST COAST STYE.. BOOZE;) WOMEN/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif AND TRAINS:D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif GOTTA LOVE THEM BIGBOYS... or any USA locos for that matter.Steve are the aster bigboys 1/29th or 1/32th scale????
Nick...

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I am very puzzled why you are having problems going through a #6 switch presumably USAT or Aristo. I was one of the first to get the USAT Big Boy and did not hesitate to get it running at a number of train shows annually attended by the G-scale club I belong to (www.ecgrc.com). Since I do not yet have an outdoor garden railway to call my own, these shows have afforded a perfect opportunity to put many hours on the locomotive through #6 switches (20-foot diameter curves only). I've never experienced any difficulties (USAT or Aristo) from switch design or manufacture and have often highballed through them or backed up a consist onto a siding. There was one instance when the Bib Boy began to derail as it entered a #6 switch after about ten days of daily running at the Pensacola Interstate Fair. I had violated a cardinal rule by failing to have a straight piece of track between a 20'D quarter circle and the beginning of the switch. The locomotive was not centering on the rails as it left the curved (there is extreme overhang even with 20'D) and the front drivers pounded the frog into an interesting shape and left metal sticking out that closed up the wheel flangeways enough to cause the lead trucks to jump the tracks--the locomotive merrily followed along. Anyway, thereafter, four feet of straight track is included in into any track plan that is intended to accommodate BiG Boy operations and that problem has never arisen again.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for i the input Robert,makes me feel a little better. i have 16.5 ft dia curves for shows do you think the bigboy will go thrue ok? i bought these curves for shows cause i never thought i would own anything bigger than the hudson... what a dumb ass i am AAAAAA I ALSO ORDERED a 48 inch turntable a couple of weeks ago not ever thinking i would have a bigboy ,its built already so no way to increase the size for the bigboy!!!ooo well guess i will have to build a mallet house to store it next to the round house...;)
Nick

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Raymond, I don't think that the DCC system (Digitrax) had a all button like DCS has. If I remeber right it was only capable of running 2 seperate loco's at a time unless they were in a consist/lashup whereas you know how we can operate all loco's on the active list with the all button. I don't think it would be a good idea to treat the loco's as if they were in a lashup with 200 cars seperating them. Man the cost involved with setting up 2000' of track into seperate power districts with 10 amp blocks would be outrageous compared to one or two DCS TIU's.

Hmm back emf wouldn't cut it on a big heavy train. I'd think it would want to be turned off because the mid-train loco's would start surging. To me the DCS optical reader is far superior to back emf, just for comparison a record turntable still uses a optical reader and not back emf.
What would be really sweet is when MTH gets the SMPH calibration program out to us..:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Welp, i think someones going to be STEAMED over this!!!! GET IT... STEAMED, OOOOO I CRACK MYSELF UP....:D
Nick

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Nick, I have absolutely no idea what the Big Boy will do trying to negotiate a 16.5'D curve. Never tried. Guess the only way to find out is throw the track down on a flat surface and find out. I would not be surprised you discover it won't work. Even on 20'D curves, the Big Boy overhangs the outer rail by almost three inches. You're hardly a dumb ass... I was fortunate to have the backyard space to always consider 20'D as a minimum for the garden railway that is yet to be constructed. I've known many G-scalers in my club who looked at me askance thinking there never would be locomotives big enough to warrant such extravagance. Well... In fact, I've pestered Lewis Polk for years to finally offer 24'D tracks but he's not interested since none of his locomotives need such wide curves. Yeah, I know, bend your own. Nah... Let me know how the 16.5'D experiment turns out--I am interested. Bob

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Ran the USAT BB yesterday and all went well, onboard batt.
I don't think the over hang looks 3" on a 20'dia but I am thinking of changing the lower main 1 to 20' radious curves just because of longer heavier trains.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I didn't think it looked like a 3" either but I could be wrong. Here is the only thing close I have to a picture on a 20ft curve. It's not all the way in the curve but I don't know that it would swing out any further...

All I remember for sure was I thought the engine looked ok/good on the 20ft curves.

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sweet Ray just sweet but hay for 3500.00 why is that number board bent down like that? that would just piss me off..
Nick

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hehe, noticed that eh? I'm sure it can be corrected I just never looked into it. It's probably screwed in place, just not sure how to get to it.

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Right on Chuck glad Jim did ya right he's a good egg...cant wait to see it... Ray i have a BIG hammer that will fix that number board right up!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif;)
Nick..

21 - 40 of 452 Posts