G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 452 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp some things have changed here in the last couple of days and i have freed up a little cash so i may be in the market for a bigboy loco.. why i want a up engine is beond me but maybe cause they were built less than 50 miles down the road could be a valid reason other than the thing is huge... so who has a accucraft or a usa bigboy, and how do they look and most importantly how do they run... dont be affraid to chime in i promise i wont bite your heads OFF...../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif
Nick...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nick
I have the USA loco. The sound is great and it is a great running loco.
The one problem that I found is that it has it be babyed through a #6 switch it will go through it but it fights you the whole way.
Also on the USA the top of the boiler come of with 4 screw and you DON'T have to flip it over.
It is also an easy locolink/airwire conversion
MAtt

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Click on the "2 as modified" tab to see the images of this thing. The major clue that it is a model is that it is too clean!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt,
very interested why it wont go thrue # 6 switch? is it the loco or the swicth? USA or aristocrap switch... thanks
Nick..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I believe Marty has one and his is a more of a shelf queen due to that it won't stay on the the track even with concrete roadbed.

-Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,
did he say why it would not stay on track...
thanks
Nick

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nick
They are the USA switches.
It goes through them you just have to take it slow.
Its the same thing that Brian is talking about it doesnt like staying on the track.
Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nick
Here is a quote from Marty from the Worlds Longest train Post
Maybe he could chime in with more hints and info
"to be honest, I have to baby the BB all the time. Its NOT made to go backwards and the smoker doesn't work now. My AC #6 are ok going slow to med speeds. I talked to Jens last night he ajusted the springs to push down harder on the tender lead truck and pilot truck.
Its a great loco but no fun to run.
Any little stick on the rail ,it will walk up on the rail instead of crushing it like I thought it would. its a 45 pd "baby"
Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank Matt and Brian,
i found this clip of Cozads bigboy seems to be running ok but no clips of going thrue switchs, i think Ray M had a problem with the switchs as well... must be something stupid causeing it, you think..
Nick..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nick
I was talking to Rick Cartwright in pheonix and he thinks that it is something to do with the front truck.
He is modifying mine and 2 others I will keep you posted on what I find out.
Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
NIck
I just got off the phone with Rick and he said that the back axel on the front truck is being forced up off the track for some reason and he thinks that is were the problem is but hasn't come up with a fix
Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Matt, look forward to hearing from you about this, in the mean time maybe i can talk ray into barrowing his for a couple of weeks to try out/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif see how it works, besides the fact i can break it in for you Ray.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Nick...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nick
Sounds like a great idea:D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
All those pictures you see of his 60plus car coal train are always being pulled by MTH.
Keep us posted if he lets you use it/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
How did I miss this thread.
My ears were burning.

I love the BB cause its got balls. But IT rules the rail. Thus I am planning changes to meet the need just like any growing class 1 RR.
Its NOT a girly-man engine.
It will hurt your fingures rerailing it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Haha Hey Nick, sorry I missed your post I'm spending less and less time on MLS any more...

First, no you can't borrow mine. :rolleyes:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif The 500ft it's been before getting put in the display case is all the breaking in it needs. LOL

Second, to answer your question directly, I think the bottom line is because the engine is so heavy and because it is build so prototypically, it will be less forgiving with layout imperfections. All axles are independently sprung, but because of the weight the springs are strong so they don't give easily. The engine runs smoother than any other largescale engine I own and it weighs 5 times as much. The quartering is absolutely perfect, no driveline binding whatsoever. The detail is just incredible, you will spend hours just looking at it and you will feel like you are looking at a true mini-replica of the real thing. The size is just hard to imagine in 1:29, I mean it's HUGE! I put mine in the display case not because of running problems, but because it's just so beautiful I wanted to keep it in pristine condition. I mean this is the Ultimate model of the ultimate engine, and I want it to stay in perfect condition.

Note that the whistle sound is from the SP Daylight 4449.(GS-4 Northern class engine) Ultimately it's what sounds good to your ear for the engine.

Oh and I saw the St. A version of the BB and I would make very sure you saw detail pictures of it before you ordered it. Email me off line if you want more info. I wish I had photos so you could see it up close.

Good luck with your decision, I don't think you would regret ordering a USA BB. :)

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for the advice, me thinks upstate NY could see the return of the BIGBOY soon:D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif:D
Nick...

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hey Nick, I'm getting ready to order a USA Big Boy as well!
Odd part is that USA only shows 3 out of 4 cab numbers in stock..not bad for a big articulated locomotive that will never sell...or should I say that USAT would never build according to some large scale manufacturers & dealers..hahahehehaha.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 452 Posts