G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. So i have a ruby...i built it as a kit around 2 years ago... since then the poor girl has run and run and run...now its time to be retimed due to wear...and i think i am so far from square one that i will never get it right. And of course all of that great info about timing her in the manual is gone... SO PLEASE HELP :) :) :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Matt, Go to Informative Threads under the Live steam heading and scroll down to "All About Admissions, Valve Timing, and Valve Tuning - 1.02mb" You will find lots of info there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright well here is the follow up... i followed all the directions and got 'er running great again at max speed- a million hehe. BUT now she's got a little knock to her stride. What could this be? A sign of wear maybe? Or is there a fine tuning adjustment to be made?

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Knocks are sometimes caused by over-travel of either the valve piston or power piston. a rod is either too long (piston hitting the cylinder head) or too short (piston hitting cylinder rear cover).

Other times is it caused by a worn/oblong bearing slapping the rod/pin interface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts