G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating whether to get a Bachmann Big Hailer Annie, 2-6 Spectrum Mogul, or 4-4 Spectrum American. I like the looks of all three, but was going with the Big Hauler for the price. I found a 2-6 Spectrum Mogul (BAC 81491) and 4-4 Spectrum American (BAC 81396) for $239 at St. Aubins. Is this right? This seems strange since they list at $850-$900. Right or wrong how much better of a loco are the 2-6 or 4-4 than the Annie? Also, I plan on converting what ever I get to battery. I know the Annie will be relatively easy to convert, but how about the others? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
lrparks,

They're all great models, I've got an "Annie" and 2-6-0 Mogul, amoung other Bachmann locomotives, both of which I'm very happy with. The difference is in the scale. The 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are both 1:20.3 which is correct for modeling 3 foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. The "Annie" is smaller in scale at about 1:22.5 which is correct for meter gauge on 45mm track. Bachmann list prices and retail prices bear little if any resemblance to each other and the St. Aubins price is the going price. As far as a good looking reliable locomotive you won't be disappointed with any of these three. As to the scale to gauge combination that has to be totally up to you.

Jeff Livingston
Kanoehe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
As Jeff indicates, they are all good locos. Be aware that the 4-4-0 is a better puller than the 2-6-0, if that's a consideration. But the 2-6-0 has slightly better detail. Make sure you pull the guide pins off the mogul if you get it, especially if you have tighter radius curves. None of these locos are particularly graceful on 4' diameter curves, but the 2-6-0 probably has the most problems of the three on tight curves, from my experience.
Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had read somewhere else on this board that the 2-6 had particular trouble with turnouts and removing the pins solved the problem. I have 10' diameter curves and no turnouts in my layout so I don't foresee any problems. Thanks for the comment.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Those 4-6-0 Annies are an awful lot of loco for the money. Strong, smooth, relible, detailed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts