G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my two dogs have been acting a bit uneasy lately when they are outside with me while I work on the layout. At first I thought there might be a skunk or a armadillo or some other animal lurking near my property. Here is a photo taken by one of my neighbors about a half mile from my house.

Some folks call it a cougar or puma. Others call it a mountain lion or a panther. I just call it "kitty" and hope it stays out of the yard!

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Isnt it fun to see local gentry wander thourgh your yard.

This iis a Road Runner...It is about the size of a chicken.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Chas

Not even close.

Cougar (Puma concolor) Bobcat (Lynx rufus)
Length Avg. 8 ft. Length Avg. 35 in.
Weight Avg. 115-220 lbs. Weight Avg. 20-30 lbs.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Some folks call it a cougar or puma. Others call it a mountain lion or a panther. I just call it "kitty" and hope it stays out of the yard!
Don't forget "catamount"! (Not that I ever heard anyone actually use that term, but I remember seeing it in books I read as a kid.)

We got 'em around here, too (both cougars and bobcats). I've heard a big cat once, but haven't seen one. My next-door neighbor has seen one right behind our houses a couple of times. There are deer in the area, too, (as evidenced by the damage to my fruit trees!), so that is the food source for the big guy or gal. The bobcats are more interested in the rabbits.

You have to be particularly careful about cougars because they are ambush predators, and big ones at that. Humans are about the same size as a mule or white-tail deer, and to the cat, they all look like a meal ticket.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Steve,
My bad...I've only heard stories and in general do not live far enough out of town to see them.

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The only region of the country where I have heard cougars referred to as "catamounts" is in Vermont. I may be mistaken, but I think that the teams from the U of Vermont are called the Catamounts.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Came around the back corner of the house and saw a bobcat under my old car. I kept walking on a wide circle around. He got spooked got up and ambled over the railroad on his way out.
I wish I had my camera. Was a beautiful creature.
On line I read they can jump 12 feet up! My psycho kitty is an indoor cat so no worries there.

John

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Cougars are trouble, plain and simple, they will kill cats dogs livestock and your children are at risk regardless of whether they are in groups or even with parents, the Cougar can grow to be 400lbs and thats a hellova big kitty no matter how you dice it. Seen bobcats which are better neighbors, as they eat pests like rats and the like, but Cougars are trouble, I hope your locals can trap him and set him free away from people areas

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By wchasr on 24 Nov 2010 02:18 PM
Steve,
My bad...I've only heard stories and in general do not live far enough out of town to see them.

Chas Chas

No problem guy, just wanted that you should know that's a much bigger cat in Bob's picture, pictures can be deceiving.

The Cougar is the second largest cat in the Americas (largest being the Jaguar), it ranges from the Yukon to the Andes. And yes it also populated the east coast of the U.S., still does in the case of Florida (i.e. Florida Panther), however, in most other states east of the Mississippi its suffered extirpation beginning back in colonial times.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Wow Rhyman, that's a neat picture of the Cougar. We have lots here on the island and they are extremely elusive cats--so to see one or get a picture is rare. They are super powerful...I saw one dragging a full size deer across a field by the neck with no problem at all....keep the kids inside when they are around!

Keith

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I always wanted to hunt one, almost went years ago, the old Mountian men always said that was the best tasting meat.

Great pic

Tom H

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
HOLY SHEET!!!!

was my 1st reaction, out loud by the way! We have bobcats here, a lil bigger than normal household cat with no tail. People have them (mix breads) as pets etc.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
There have always been rumors of panther, puma, catamount, cougar, mountain lion or whatever you call it in Illinois. One night, out by our place in Eldorado Township, I heard something that made me a believer. The puma is a big, fierce cat that can and does occasionally hunt people.

We do have bobcats in Illinois. They're very elusive. As a boy scout, I sometimes found evidence of them, but never did manage to see one.

(I expected to find a photo of a house cat prowling the layout here.)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Tom, me too have heard the BIG cat! One night out in LaRue pine hills, overlooking huge bluff toward Mo. Been there a while, no cars etc. Down below the bluff in the scatters...Heard what sound like a woman being raped! Scared the crap out of me! Bobcats are pretty much everywhere down here, spot them frequently now.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Last night on the way home from the Bare Naked Ladies concert about 3 houses down from us "something" darted across the road inf fornt of us and stopped. I laid on the brakes and as I came to a stop next to it I'm looking out the drivers side window at a fox staring back at me. We hadn't heard the pups this past spring so I'd wondered if they were still around. No word on the bears raiding the garbage in town lately either.

Chas

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By RimfireJim on 24 Nov 2010 02:09 PM
Don't forget "catamount"! (Not that I ever heard anyone actually use that term, but I remember seeing it in books I read as a kid.)

An engineer friend of mine used the term just this week, apparently the name of one of the hills of a line here locally.

Unfortunately, about a couple miles from the house there have been SEVERAL "wild hogs" spotted. To the point it has made the news. The problem is, they are a feral pig (escape from farms)-European wild boar (escape from "hunting ranges" cross. The disposition of a boar with the size and features of a domesticated hog.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/feralhog.html

THey were just on the Plateau, but now they are making there way west....and the armadillos and chupacabra are heading east!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Biblegrove RR on 26 Nov 2010 03:56 PM

HOLY SHEET!!!!

was my 1st reaction, out loud by the way! We have bobcats here, a lil bigger than normal household cat with no tail. People have them (mix breads) as pets etc.

I'm not too sure about bobcat/domestic cat mixes, I know some people keep Servals, an african plains wildcat as pets and apparently they are very good pets when raised from kittens around people, they can respond to their names and be taught to play fetch like a dog, also are Savannah Cats which are Servals bred with domestic cats and they are reputed to be the best cat pets ever, very affectionet - just love kids and as smart and trainable as any dog, check out the videos on Youtube for Servals or Savanah Cats, I'd love one but they are $20K to start Ouch!

Savannah cat

Serval Cat

1 - 20 of 33 Posts