G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

We are continuing the trials here in Denmark, and last Sunday we put 50 wagons on the hook. No problem for the Big Boy. But I broke 3 Märklin screw couplers, and on one occasion it was up the 2,5% gradient. When the engine lost 49 wagons, it naturally accelerated quite fast, Lucky we got it stopped before something happened. But it makes you Wonder if it ought to have some kind of remote-control installed (there is plenty of Space for that)

For those of you WHO wants to see a bit of the train here is a video:

Regards

David

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
As I am sure that you are discovering, the Aster Big boy is a very forgiving and easy to run engine. The only hard part is lugging it around.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Steve

You are so right! - I had never thought it would be a great runner.
Anyway handling can be a problem.
Ulli stated that we needed a Loco Stretcher, so on this website (Danish forum) you can see how we have made it.
link: http://www.togklubben1til32.dk/Fusi...#post_9431
(scroll to the bottom)
Notice it is all Stainless Steel. The handle has a metal rod inside. And we made an "axle lock" to secure the engine.

With this handling is a "no-brainer".

Regards

David

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
David

Looking great. Was a little concerned about how you were keeping Big Boy on your carries until I saw later pic showing the holding device you have used.
Still very heavy engine and tender combo to be lifting together. At my age and lack of strength I could not lift the two together.
The carrier does look like it will do the stuff. My German is not so good so I had hard time translating the text.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Posted By David_DK on 18 Jul 2013 12:52 PM
Hello Steve

You are so right! - I had never thought it would be a great runner.
Anyway handling can be a problem.
Ulli stated that we needed a Loco Stretcher, so on this website (Danish forum) you can see how we have made it.
link: http://www.togklubben1til32.dk/Fusi...#post_9431
(scroll to the bottom)
Notice it is all Stainless Steel. The handle has a metal rod inside. And we made an "axle lock" to secure the engine.

With this handling is a "no-brainer".

Regards

David

The carrier looks awesome. As we speak, David Leech is building me one of his carriers for the Big Boy. I was a little concerned about it's length but after seeing your pictures.......I think that it will work great. The Big Boy is a true beast, but she operates and runs like a kitten. I will go out on a limb and say it is one of the very best runner's Aster has ever made. Happy to see another one on the tracks running instead of just sitting on a mantle collecting dust. You need to bring it down to Houston. We can triple head Big Boys pulling 100 cars and have Art's Challenger at the back as a pusher. Now that would be cool !

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve. Thanks for the invitation!
Next time im arround, Ill bring an engine. And a tripple BB is not a bad idea. But ill have to work out how to get it on a plane - As hand luggage. Anyway the loco stretcher is not completly done. I still need to do the transportbox that goes arround it. Got some thin (2,5) 5 - layer mahogony plywood home, so I Can keep the weight down. We Will se that is a winter project

1 - 6 of 6 Posts