G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this and it is extremely informative. Each big boy is shown in number sequence and footage of each in action as well.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks like those shots are off the Pentax's DVD Big boy's. Very good DVD covers all the Big Boy's from 4000 to 4024.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
It is great that someone had the foresight to get these monsters on film shortly before they would never roam the rails again. Yes, it's a awesome DVD.
If you are a Big Boy fan it is a must have.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
There was a rumor a few years ago that Hollywood was going to shoot a movie called 'Big Boy' which would feature a restored locomotive. Did I just dream that or was there such a plan and if so what happened to it?
Andrew

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've heard about that and also heard that the plan was scrapped because of the cost involved Andrew. It's unfortunate as we'll never get to see a BigBoy run anymore.

-Will

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
An awfull lot of folk thought that movie was a scam. Even though a museum in Texas went along with it for a while and allowed some publicity photos to be taken, they never entered negotiations to allow their engine to be touched by anyone. Many thought that the promoter's claimed choice of engine to restore was a dead giveaway as to the real intent of the promoter. The supposedly selected engine was one of the worst preserved of all the Big Boys that still exist and would require some repair work that is deemed, by those that know such things, as being nearly impossible to accomplish... i.e.: nobody has THAT much money! As I remember the movie story line, it would probably be a poor movie, too, and not make much at the box office.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thank you Bill and SV for confirming that I didn't just dream it. Its good to know I'm not going mad after all!

What a thrill it would be to see one of these mighty monsters on the tracks again. But sadly not in our lifetime.

Well this quality DVD may make up for that disappointment. I shall order a copy tomorrow!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
In 1998 it was announced that Big Boy #4018 on static display at the then called "Age of steam Railroad Museum" located in Dallas Texas would be restored to running order for a movie to be called "Big Boy ". Here is the original link that is still on line. http://www.bigboy4018.com/news/ You can imagine how excited train enthusiasts were. It was said at the time that it would cost between $700,000 to a million bucks to get the job done. It was to no one's surprise that funding fell through and the whole project came to a screeching halt. I went to the Dallas museum this past summer to look at #4018 and while she may never run again, the Grand Old Lady had been cosmetically repaired and painted back to her original scheme in 2007. It is an incredible feeling to stand next to one of these true Monsters of steam.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STEVE,
I ORDERED THE 'BIG BOY COLLECTION' THAT I WILL SHARE WITH YOU AND THE GUY'S. LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE FREE TO RUN STEAM THE NEXT TIME YOU RUN.
IM HOPING DR RELEASES ME TOMMOROW.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thanks Steve S for the website link, all my questions are now answered.

When Governments are bailing out the Banks Worldwide for $1,000,000,000,000 (that's a Trillion US Dollars!) then it s sad that for the sake of a Million Dollars a Big Boy can't be steamed again! Think of the joy it would bring and the increased tourist revue for visiting to see the monster in steam again.

Come to think of it, send it to the UK and well fix it up a treat. But you might not get it back again!
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Hello Andrew. You folks in the U.K. seem to appreciate the "Steam Rail Road Herritage" far more then most in the U.S. do. I too wish that one of the eight Big Boys remaining where in the U.K. because I believe that you all would take a lot better care of it. You might even find the means to get one running again. If not, you would at least keep it painted and under cover out of the elements. I am sad to say that on this side of the pond, most (not all) could care less and would just as soon see these priceless pieces of history go under the torch and hauled off as scrap. They are way too busy keeping up with their I phones, I pods, Blackberries, sports cars that they can't afford and the good old " Keep up with the Jones mentality". I hope that some day soon you can stand next to one of these incredible machines in person......................there is nothing quite like it.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ARE THE VIDEOS STILL SHOWING UP ON THIS THREAD, IM GETTING NOTHING BUT BLAXK SCREEN ,SOMETHIN GONE WRONG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts