G Scale Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 181 Posts

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Here is a pic of how close to the end I will have 1st access port. I am also considering facing the stone wall with mortar using the aluminum foil technique? OR should I just leave it?

· Premium Member
240 Posts
I think that the appearance of the rock is just fine without the need of a mortor facade, but that is your asthetic decision. I have found, however, that rock walls mortored together are much more durable than dry walled, but you can stick plants in the cracks with dirt for a more natural appearance.

Terl

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Wooooo Hoooo finally poured some concrete roadbed!

Afterwards, I thought I should have placed a drainage pipe under the roadbed in the center of the curve. Now I will place 1 on each end of this or just drive a pipe down into the gravel base for drainage. So water does not build up and create a pond on the inside of the loop???

And, I think I got a good deal on a whole lot of Pavestones to use around the pool and for steps? Only $300

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
1st loop of concrete/pvc roadbed is installed and I have asked that this thread be moved to the Track -- Roadbed Forum. I guess that after all this work I no longer feel like a beginner although my results may differ. All your continued support, comments are much appreciated and very motivating! I have a 4th of July pool party planned and the "head mistress" lol wants her right of way cleared of my tunnel excavating project so I have to finish this tunnel #2 contract between the high priority Tiki Bar and stone walkway to the Pool. All having to be mostly botched up and semi completed by this Sat. morning!

^^^ In order to proceed I have to mock up my new turnouts to route the mainline out of town and the station siding etc. Then laser level the PVC so I can pour more roadbed. I would also like to pour the streets in/out of town before covering area with Weed Fabric then lime and mulch. I have a few plants that are getting root bound in trays that are paitiently waiting on me.

^^^ here is Tunnel #2 that needs to be rush completed...wish me luck. Looks like I will need to soften the "clay" base with H2O before excavating any further. RRRRRRRRR

· Premium Member
5,870 Posts
If you do the Foil technique Please post some pic's as you do it. Also closeups of the results.

Some of the big rocks I have I had to put mortar at the base and on some of my portals I used Motar. I got this bag at Home Depot in the masonary section It is cone shaped. It looks like the bag Cake Decorators use. I use it to put motar between the rocks. Works rather well. People who build stone fire places use it to put motar between the stones like grout.

I bought three for differet hole sizes to produce different beads of motar.

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Help!

I need to stop the weed problem in town! I am ready to lay down the fabric and cover with lime/mulch but... I need to pour down the streets through town.
Should I go ahead and cover the area first? Then come back and sweep away lime and mulch when ready to pour the roads? Right on top of the landscape fabric?

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well it's been a while since I posted any progress on the layout so here it goes, please remember that suggestions are very welcome.

Here I have the grass and weeds in town under control and under weed block and lime. You really can't tell but I do have concrete roadbed for a complete loop with a turn around finished and hope to lay some track soon.

Here I did not know what to do since I was so close to the sidewalk and it was starting to kinda erode up under it. I hope this looks ok when finished.....

· Premium Member
6,091 Posts
How are you going to get curved track to sit right inside that tube? You won't be able to see if it's level.

My sole tunnel is only 1/4 of a 10' diam circle, I'd have lost a train inside without an access hole in the middle. It's not a pleasant feeling dragging a derailed loco/ train out of it.

My track was laid first and then I built my tunnel over it. Even then one edge of a portal was a tad close to the sides of long cars... I moved the tunnel!

I hope you tested this part of construction before burying that pipe... I hope your ambitions are acheivable..

John

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
UUUGH! in theory , can't I just reach in and screw the ties down to the plastic pipe, ballast and run? It should give me right at 11" above the rail and 4 1/4" on each side of train (if it was straight) I see the potential problem here, especially with my very long LGB Genesis set!

· Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Uh huh...

It looked like there was a straight section before the curve in the tunnel pic above. I would have tried securing the joiners/clamps as I fed the track in, couldn't see getting the curved parts through the straight parts.....
Another learned bit 'o knowledge.... my gardens is Rocks, it's much harder to get close to the portals once scenery was spread around.

John

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I turned 40 today.... I spent the day finally laying the first sections of track on my layout. I could not think of a better way to spend my Birthday!

I grabbed some turnouts and tools...

Here I have the 6 turnouts in the village of Biblegrove all in place...

It went pretty smooth. I used an RLD rail bender and it works great!

Here is a birds eye (or Dispatch') Point of view from the deck...It's come a long way in a year.

81 - 100 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.