G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Water seepage is always an issue and concern. But looking at the slope of your yard I think you'll be OK, Everything slopes away from your foundation fairly quickly. I'd say as long as you keep the "river" at least 20 feet away from the house you shold be fine. It may be worth a call to the local building inspector for piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
BG.. Three things..

1) Never ever worry about about anyone here getting bored with your post. I've found this community on here to be rife with wonderful supportive folks. If one of us is in need of moral support, they'll find it here in plentitude. You're among friends here, if you need us, we'll be there for you.

2) Something will turn up for you. My wife lost her position of 15 years in August. She was home for a few weeks, but now she has a new job and is doing additional work part time for an old associate from her previous position. Have faith, stay positive and enjoy what life gives you. You didn't lose a job, you gained endless possibilities for what to do next.

3) Keep the great pictures coming. You're really going to town there. It's looking great and I like the ideas you have. I fully expect to be able to drop over in 4.5 years when I get back in the neighborhood and run my trains untill I get mine up and running at my place..

Peace & love Bro...

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Posted By Biblegrove RR on 01/04/2009 6:52 PM
Thanks, I am concerned about the Mountain/cliff ending up looking like a bunch of rocks mortared together.

Just a suggestion but, don't mortar them... build a loose base of rocks, then infill with soil, add another layer of rocks and more soil.. keep adding untill you get to your desired height. THEN.. plant mosses and small shrubs in the exposed soil areas between the rocks.. half a growing season later you'll be amazed at the realism..

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Considering the thickness of your collumn ( about 4" , right?) I'd stay away from steel rebar. If you get mousture in the collun and the rebar starts to rust & expand, it'll destroy your collunm from the inside out.. There was a good article in Garden Railways a few years back on this.

I'd look into glass fiber. I have used glass fiber reinforced concrete for other small projects in the past. The omnidirectional nature of the loose fiber in the concrete makes for an incredibly strong mix. Some people have had "issues" with the finished project looking "fuzzy". If you have excess glass fiber poking through the surface, just burnish the surfaces with a propane torch to burn off the excess and it's fine.
Glass fiber reinforced concrete may be worth looking into.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.