G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I like to squeeze as much out of my engines as possible. While working on my Accucraft NGG16, I noticed that the front engine ran smoother in forward, and the rear engine ran smoother in reverse. This is because the beginning of the admission events are a little later for the rear engine in forward. To bring the best of both engines together in forward, I loosened the direction shaft u-joint on the rear engine while in reverse, and and cranked the front engine to forward and tighened the u-joint set screw. At this point I moved the eccentric crank arms to the other side of the axle shaft and adjusted the valve stroke to 4mm. On the track the engine MUCH ran smoother, although I have no neutral or reverse.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gordon,

It is no longer a diode Garratt. I have reverse and neutral again!!!!!!! It was a simple matter of moving the link shaft forward 18mm and shortening the gear box shaft 18mm. For those with RC it would just be a matter or reversing one servo and eccentric crank arms. Forward is great and reverse works. For some dumb reason it doesn't like to back through my Aristocraft switches with worn out frogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts