Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of the log in the "old" mylargescale:

archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp

As a reminder:

I am trying to build Betsy from  Madera Sugarpine:

http://www.gearedsteam.com/other/images/madera_sugarpine_co-thunder.jpg
Image exceeds 640 pixel max. width - converted to link. Mod.

Progress so far:
Valve gear with home made eccentrics is ready and the chassis has been run successfully on air.

Next tasks are machining a new reversing valve (the Accucraft valve is too bulky)  Mamod style, replacing some of the friction bearings with ball bearings and attaching the boiler. The first steam test should be 1-2months away.
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Hi Henner:  Looking good.  If you don't mind, next time you have the cylinders apart could you post a photo.  Would like to see how these inside valve, outside cylinder set-ups get attached to the frame.

Thanks and keep up the great work, Bob

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted By xo18thfa on 01/21/2008 12:00 PM
Hi Henner:  Looking good.  If you don't mind, next time you have the cylinders apart could you post a photo.  Would like to see how these inside valve, outside cylinder set-ups get attached to the frame.

Thanks and keep up the great work, Bob

Hi Bob,
I'll make a photo within the next 2 weeks. It is actually very simple: A filler piece, longer screws and 1/32" gasket material. I hope the gasket material is sufficient to insulate the cylinder from the frame. Steam tests will show...
Regards

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some more progress: Betsy is running on steam! The first attempt was disappointing; I used a Ruby burner, which was way too whimpy. The second attempt with a borrowed Accucraft Shay burner was more successful, see:

www.youtube.com/watch

The dog in the clip is Eric's railroad dog "Casey" Oh, and without a throttle yet she is a bit speedy/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif.

Here a picture of how I sandwiched the cylinders betwen the frames (the brass parts are insulated from the frame channel by gasket material):

That's how she looks currently:

All axles are now equipped with ball bearings and the boiler is attached to the frames. Next step will be the reverser/throttle and a dedicated burner.
Regards

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Betsy has grown a little bit. She now sports a smoke box door, reversing/throttle valve, her own burner/gas tank and a servo. The idea is to iron out all technical issues, before I start with the "fun stuff" like smoke stack, cab, saddle tank. So far the performance of Betsy is not bad, she is quite lively and pulls pretty heavy trains. She also climbs my 8% logging line with 2 pairs of loaded disconnects. See the short video clip (3% grade on a R3 curve):

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some more progress:
Smoke stack and buffer beams have been added. next step will either be the saddle tank or the cab. Piping is still temporary, as I have to figure out where to place the filler and safety valve. I know, it is not a main line loco and it runs on a ground level layout, but this my interpretation of our great hobby

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Wow! one of my favorite engines! Looks great, can't wait to see how she turns out.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words. Howard, one of these days we have to have a steam-up with your Climax and my Betsy doing some serious pulling (e.g. flatcars loaded with steam donkeys)
Regards

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Hi Henner,
I have been following your log also, nice loco! I am interested in the reverser valve, as I am also not pleased with the bulk of the Ruby reverser. You mention earlier in the post " new reversing valve (the Accucraft valve is too bulky) Mamod style" , any chance of a closer look at the valve? I am gathering parts for another "ruby Bash" that would be nicer if I could build a more compact reverser. Thanks again for the burner comment, but if I had listened to Larry Herget to start with I would not have had to chase the steam genie quite so hard. But I have learned a lot on this project.................like listen to "ol fart" !!
redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By redbeard on 11/04/2008 6:58 AM
... I am interested in the reverser valve, as I am also not pleased with the bulk of the Ruby reverser. You mention earlier in the post " new reversing valve (the Accucraft valve is too bulky) Mamod style" , any chance of a closer look at the valve? redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

Larry,
I have "stolen" my reverser design from:
http://www.davewatkins.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/idrispln.htm
Regards

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
are you working from some drawings or plans of the actual Betsy ?
if so, are these plans/drawings available for purchase?
thanks
allen

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some more progress. Saddle tank and fake firebox are completed. I should have built a real coal fired boiler, making the fake firebox was almost as much work as a real one...

I milled/turned a skeleton structure for the tank and soft soldered the sheet metal around this support.

Regards

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Latest progress:
The sand box and live steam plumbing has been added. The plumbing is silver soldered from PM research 1/8" fittings and 5/32" copper tubing. The sand box contains the Goodall type valve and the safety.

Next step is the exhaust piping and the steam dome. Eric currently makes a beautiful wood cab for me (in exchange for some fittings for his steam tractor).
Regards

1 - 20 of 84 Posts