G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, all I'm asking is where to find the best price on LED strip lighting, you know the small surface mount LEDs on a flexible (and adhesive) strip.

Usually about 3 LEDs in 2 inches, 12 volts, and you can cut it every 2 or 3 inches.

Warm white, about 2700 to 3100 Kelvin...

Oh, I'm going to buy 30-40 feet of it, so that's why price is important...

Not really enthused about ordering from China directly (had a friend get burned before)

One of the best prices I have found is here: ($50 for 5 meters)

http://www.wholesale-leds.com/light...1-2-1.aspx

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
My son says he bought a roll from this place:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320968641475

$10 for 5 meters of "WHITE" (but I can't find the temperature of the light). Free shipping.

And he says he got them in about a week.

I bought a pack of Four 10-inch strips for $30, came with the power supply and some short cables with molded-on connectors at Menards on a whim... shoulda resisted that impulse! I think I would have been better off getting the $10 roll, a spool of wire and a cheap wall-wart.

·
Super Modulator
20,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Semp, they have an ebay store, and they also have the warm white... thanks! (have to check the US rate conversion)

Thanks Todd, but that is $1.55 for 50 mm, or $155 for 5 meters or so... 15 times higher... good company but the prices are so so...

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 08 Mar 2013 11:55 AM
Semp, they have an ebay store, and they also have the warm white... thanks! (have to check the US rate conversion)

Thanks Todd, but that is $1.55 for 50 mm, or $155 for 5 meters or so... 15 times higher... good company but the prices are so so...

Regards, Greg

I didn't do the math. I just saw that was what you were interested in. Need to save costs? Here's your solution, but more work.

Here's 5' for $10 and can be emersed in water, but not a "strip" per say.

Warm White LED string

Or make your own at $0.12 each.

Warm White Strip LEDs without the Strip.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Greg from the looks of it the LED lights you have in your first post seem decent.
I actually sell lighting and switchgear for a electrical distributor, LED is the hot item in lighting everywhere and the pricing fluctuates as much as the quality does!
The LED flex tape sources we purchase from are about 5x as much money as what you have posted, but we have to buy/sell what is specified/approved on jobs.

The only thing I would suggest is buy more then what you think you may need (allow for failure also) because in 6-months all of the product that is available now will be discontinued and replaced with new stuff. We know sooner get new product releases from mfg's and by the time we receive it into stock it has already been phased out and replaced!

·
Super Modulator
20,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Vinny, you don't know me very well yet, but I'll just tell you that I'm sort of the "king of spares".... looking at making an order for between 200 and 500 bucks worth... that's why price has become important, need 20-30 meters just for myself, and going to order for a couple friends too... Going to outfit all my passenger cars...

If you were in my home "shop", and you needed some hardware or wire or components, 99% chance we would not have to go to home depot or radio shack...

And you are completely right about the product changing, anything from China seems to change characteristics at a whim!

But the good news is that this stuff is getting so common, it's almost become generic, so basic dimensions are becoming standardized... it's just the Kelvin that seems to vary all over the map.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
That should look nice inside of the cars, I would probably lean more towards the 27k color.
Definitly stay away from the 41 & 50k colors out there, very bright/white/bluish....and hurts the eyes when looking at it, mine anyways!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Oh ok I thought you went with Dave, but it says Ron now , lol.

You might also be interested is these connectors, great price for 50 dual ended solder less connectors.
I use them to connect two strips when running a full string in a car is way to bright, and also if you cut them in half you have 2 power lead connectors.

They were also very nice people and shipped them really quickly, less than a week to Delaware.

Ron

LED Connectors

·
Super Modulator
20,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes... remember that I've known Dave Bodnar for 10 years or so... so I slip up in my excitement some times ha ha!

I'll be soldering everything to keep wires short and not show, but I'll keep the link for people who can use them.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Are you on using track power?

I switched all my heavyweights to ball bearings, and removed the wiring when I took out the bushings.

I usually only run my trains during the day so was thinking of using battery power from a 9 volt.
I found a bunch of battery packs with an on/off switch for just over a buck.

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Here is one of the 7 heavy weights I did with the lighting that Greg showed in this thread. I also have the BB installed in all the cars. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I run DCC Ron, and will use track power instead of fooling with batteries... with 3 leds per 2 inches and at 9 volts no way I'm supporting duracell, or cutting holes in my cars for battery hatches, etc. I've got 10 amps at 24 volts everywhere....

On my HW's will probably do the same as RJ, the standard upgrade for Aristo. On the USAT streamliners, I will probably do the same...

Greg

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Greg, Call me on Monday as I have a roll I can make you a good deal on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts