G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a silly question but has anybody tried making a straight section of track (brass) out of a curved section by cutting the plastic tie connector strips on the inner rail? I am about 4 sections of straight track short for my layout but I have lots of curved track.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Sorry I haven't tried it, but I have certainly straightened curved rail by running it "backwards" through my rail bender. I would think that cutting the ties would then allow you to straighten them out.
Robert

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By MIJODA52 on 08/18/2008 9:11 AM
This may sound like a silly question but has anybody tried making a straight section of track (brass) out of a curved section by cutting the plastic tie connector strips on the inner rail? I am about 4 sections of straight track short for my layout but I have lots of curved track.

I'm having the same problem to..
Trying to straighten out LGB curves. I cut ties every 3 inch's on both sides but can't get he last 2 inch's straighten out of 15 or so curve tracks. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

Hope your post helps us.. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

G

·
i straighten LGB R1 curves with a hammer.
i hold them over a slightly opened benchvice (for the railfoot)that is about 4" broad.
using a small hammer and a flat piece of iron, that fits between rail foot and railhead, i hammer them roughly straight.
using a steel L-angle, that is long enough, i revise, where i need to hit from which side, to make it perfect.
i allways do two pieces of track together. so i can use the two short rails for one straight and the two long rails for another, without cutting.
including the cutting of the sleeper connections it takes about fifteen minutes the pair.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By noelw on 08/18/2008 11:06 AM
Posted By MIJODA52 on 08/18/2008 9:11 AM

I'm having the same problem to..
Trying to straighten out LGB curves. I cut ties every 3 inch's on both sides but can't get he last 2 inch's straighten out of 15 or so curve tracks. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif" border=0>
Hope your post helps us.. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif" border=0>

Has anyone tried clamping the rail--between a couple of pieces of wood if needed--in a 6" bench vise and working the curve out that way? Likely, to get the last out, you'll have to either do a little creative 'nudging' with a block and light hammer, or try bending w. fingers.

If the rail has a 'set' in the curve that won't come out (the last few fractions) insert a suitable wooden shim at the height of the arc and tighten the jaws. You hafta be careful..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

Les

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I used a train-li bender to straighten a bunch of R! curves in my train shed. They came out very close to perfectly straight and since I'm using them to store freight cars, they work perfectly well. I didn't even cut the webs, I just removed the &%$#! LGB joiners. I ended up making about 20 feet of straight track out of a bunch of R1s

The Trail-Li bender is a pretty remarkable piece of gear.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I have used the single rail bender and straightened out LGB R1 rails.
I over bent just a little and the brass sprung back to straight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts