G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That looks very well thought out and the decking gives it a very nice look. I have been watching your progress since near the beginning post. Thanks for the updates! I am looking forward to seeing the rail go on. Are you putting in switches to cross over to inner and outer lines
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, my whole plan includes cross over, switch yard, turn table, round house, sidings in other 'towns.' I am approaching this in stages. My first big step this year will be the main loop construction, track will be just the outside loop and a long siding. Once my yearly allowance resets I will get the rest of the track for the inner loop and maybe some switches.

· Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, my whole plan includes cross over, switch yard, turn table, round house, sidings in other 'towns.' I am approaching this in stages. My first big step this year will be the main loop construction, track will be just the outside loop and a long siding. Once my yearly allowance resets I will get the rest of the track for the inner loop and maybe some switches.
I started mine this spring, at ground level.
I have my main loop completed and a small siding. My switch yard is started, however as you say my "allowance is depleted" . Maybe Santa will bring me some more rail clamps...
I admit I did burn a bit of my budget on plants. Next spring, or If we have a bit of an open winter I will try to finish my switch yard.
I definitely like the look of your layout, in time I may attempt a spur to a lower level of my yard with something like what you are building.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Since I only have an hour to hour and a half of daylight after I get home from work. I figured I should get some lighting up before daylight savings takes away the rest of my work light.
Sky Road surface Wood Plant Tree

Slope Grass Sky Wood Tints and shades

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That looks like it would have some wonderful ambiance. Will you leave that only for construction or is the game plan to keep it for running?
I'm leaning towards permanent installation. These lights are compatible with a dimmer, this is full light. I have no other lights back there yet. But even if I do put up a security light, the wife says this looks more inviting.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have started laying track. With daylight savings time this weekend, all further progress during the week will be under the lights.
Light Nature Train Track Street light

Light Road surface Wood Line Parallel

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
As I made progress laying track, Bingham would run one of his battery powered trains back and forth. It served as a good test as you go system.

The Second week of November gave us some snow.
Here is the video of our first snow. His engine has the cow catcher that would serve as the best plow. I Feel I may finish my un-detailed flat car as a plow car instead.

Ruby in snow 1.
Ruby in snow 2.

Some day I'll figure out how to stitch clips together as one video so I don't need as many links.

Luckily, a warm spell melted the snow and ice off the track. And gave me enough evenings that I could still work without gloves. Tonight finished at the lower limit.
Tonight I celebrate with a warm drink though. I have finished laying down the first outer loop of track. Tomorrow after work I will certainly celebrate with Bingham by running the whole consist behind the Ruby.
Plant Tree Street light Grass Slope

Plant Tree Road surface Grass Landscape

Automotive lighting Road surface Grass Tree Asphalt

Water Plant Grass Tree Street light

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
This represents my goal for the year. My budget/allowance resets after the first of the year. I'll need to get some switches and more track to make the crossover and inner loop.

The outside loop is 230 feet.

Reactions: RR Buttes

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Tonight we played with Trains.

Reactions: RR Buttes

· Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Many congratulations to all of you.
I am very impressed as to how you have gone about this railway construction, and how quickly (8 months) you have made it single handed.
I know that Catalina and Bingham were a big help too.
May you all enjoy it for many years to come.
Merry Christmas,
David Leech, Canada

41 - 55 of 55 Posts