G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I am refurbishing a Aristo Craft 4-6-2 and in the stages of designing a layout. I want to keep the layout to a moderate size and have an area 17ft X 20ft to play with It is a big Loco so I want to keep the turns wide. I am also thinking of a logging theme with a coal tower and water Tower.A standard oval seems dull and would like to keep it interesting and room for expansion.

Click for photo
Image exceeds 640 pixel max. width - converted to link. Mod

I have been serfin the net looking for Ideas but everything I come across is in N scale or HO scale. Can anyone steer me in the right spot for G scale layouts or ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Find a layout that you like, and scale it up. With an engine like that, you will want as large diameter curves as your area can take. I'd use a minimum of 10' diameter. I run the Aristo Mikado on 10' diameter curves and it looks and runs fine. In all likely hood your best design will be an oval with some passing sidings.

Chuck N

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Just a few random thoughts. First, 17 x 20 SOUNDS like a lot, but large scale stuff eats a LOT of realestate as well. Second, since the Pacific was mostly a crack passenger engine and would look best with those long heavyweight cars, go with a large oval, or square (with or without sidings) for it. Then do your "logging theme" INSIDE the outer oval. Third, for a logging layout, get a "dinky" or two-- something that will look good with two or three log cars and a bobber, build a mountain, and design the inside track so you can run it as a point to point (with several short spurs). Fourth, maybe make junction with a transfer crane to connect the two tracks.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I don't know without laying it out, if a figure eight will fit into 17' x 20'. Something like some of the old Lionel layouts with switch tracks on the curves to allow for bi-directional operation. Of course that means reverse loops.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
NavyTech,
Maybe helpful in your decision as to your design is a picture of my layout. About a 20'x30' area, double main line on outside with sidings and a small loop around a pond in the center. Out side mains have 11 1/2' diameter and 10' diameter curves with R3 crossovers [8'diameter]. 17'x20' is smaller yet, but I wanted to be able to run larger engines and longer trains.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Hmm. A logging theme? That's not quite a logging engine, but a mainline passenger loco that would be pulling long coaches.

17 by 20 isn't a bad space to start with.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Posted By chuck n on 08/06/2008 6:39 PM
Find a layout that you like, and scale it up. With an engine like that, you will want as large diameter curves as your area can take. I'd use a minimum of 10' diameter. I run the Aristo Mikado on 10' diameter curves and it looks and runs fine. In all likely hood your best design will be an oval with some passing sidings.

Chuck N

Chuck has it right. "Up scale" what ever works with smaller trains in a smaller space. I know that eight foot curves would work but stick to 10 foot plus.

A 'dog bone' layout is very simple in any space. Folded if you want bridges and/or tunnels. Build in a small shared yard where the two parts of the main line come closest together so you can park a few cars and cross over and run in the opposite direction.

A small logging RR could be set up in one loop to share a main line station. A mining RR, or anything else, might share a station in the other loop. Or you could simply leave one loop for scenery.

That's basically what I built indoors.

Have a ball.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts