G Scale Model Train Forum banner

bearings same as Aristo for a buck

7K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  John J 
#1 ·
Discussion starter · #7 ·
Jim, Stan is correct these are the perfect fit in Aristo trucks the ones on the book marked page that I posted. And as Stan said just remove the the plastic bushing using a drywall screw. Screw it in a turn and pull it out, simple. 99% of axles work better and track better because the shoulder takes some of the slop out wheels, same as adding washers but if you what they are easy to flush mount using a counter sink bite one rotation does it. They go thru switchs better going forward or backward with the shoulders out and you can fit an electrical eyelit on first pushing the bearing thru it into the truck if you need addition power pickup, great for tenders or cabooses for better lighting with now flicker. lI have never had to lube these even on the cars that are left out 7x24. Buy 8 and try one car for 8 bucks you will be back for more. On my heavyweigths my new Pacific could only pull 7 before I got slip on some curves, but after adding these I had one Pacific (New edition) pull all 8 of my PRR and then added my 5 Sante Fe heavyweight coachs. Only problem I have run into is if you get an uncoupling going up a grade the back of the train will roll to the low point no matter how far away it is. I stoped the train to add some cars uncoupled them turned to pick up couple cars and when I turned back half my train was a runaway and boy did it run. Jake

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Marty, I agree with what you said about using the bearing wheel set. But I can do an entire car (8 bearings) for less then what you pay for one axle. This gives me more to spend on cars or engines. Do you need them Yes and No, if you are pulling a train with 1-30 cars No but more than that with any kind of curves or hard grades mixed in and you will notice with the more you add. I have a 1st run u25 with no additional weight and it will max out at 20 cars on my layout with no bearings. Now the same engine will pull up to 70 cars before the same effect starts showing up. Now do I always use it with 70 cars, No its usual train is 15-25 cars so why the bearings well why maintain your car engine to make it last and be trouble free. I have a laser temp sensor when the engine make 4 loops on my 1200' of track roll the engine over and the temp. is 109 deg. Now the same engine the same 4 loops but the same number and types of cars but with bearings and the temp comes in at 89 deg. Remember the basics, heat is the enemy of electronic devises and motors. So yes do I need them now No but do I want to have the engine for the long haul, Yes. I am an Electrical/Mechanical Engineer and work for one of the largest utility company in the US and these practices apply whether you are dealing with an Aristo motor or one that lifts a elevator with 40 people 50 or more stories. "Less heat longer life, Less maint." Jake

Discussion starter · #24 ·
RPC, if you take a look at the ARISTO on line instruction manual tab on their site and look at the bearings manual you will see even with the Aristo Bearings you have to sand the axl ends down. These are a perfect match if not better. They have a better seal and only cost $1.00 each. I have both and the are size wise a perfect match. I have done over 200 cars to date. Jake

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Paul, You are right, all I do is place a piece of emery cloth on the axle end rotate 6-8 turns and they fit perfect same that is posted on the Aristo site for their bearings. Jake

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Bruce, I just completed my 8 ECLSTS show cars and the axles fit perfect. Even at Aristo's new lower price the best street price that I have found was almost $18.00 for 10 and these are $10 for 10 and they make a profit. I think Aristo is missing something here. I have done over 200 cars including the new ones and have not had to relube any and they stay out 3/4 of the year rain or shine. I have an old Pacific with the original drive system and it doesn't even hesitate on a 3.2% grade with over 53 cars in-tow. If you place electrial eyelets over the holes and press the bearing thru them you have a great electrical pickup. I have converted all the Aristo cabooses this way and all 18 heavy weights also. Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.