G Scale Model Train Forum banner

bearings same as Aristo for a buck

7K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  John J 
For the moment, put aside whether or not the Aristo ball bearings (#25529411 tube of ten) will fit this or that truck. For those of us who have been using them in conversions, what came in the mail to me today may be of interest, regarding the first post of this thread--

Last fall, I ordered a couple of tubes of the Aristo bearings from my favorite dealer, at $20 plus change per tube. Last month, I ordered five more tubes, along with some other items; the shipment came only including two tubes of bearings, at the same price. Today, the other three tubes arrived--with sticker shock! Now, I am aware that Aristo raised prices 20% at the first of the year, but here is what I found:
Aristo sticker price-$39.00
Favorite dealer's store sticker--$33.15
Favorite dealer's on-line site price--$24.57
Same product from online bearing vendor--$10 for 10

I want to give my business to My Favorite Dealer, but guess where my future bearing orders will be placed--hint--reread first post of this thread.

Larry

Lownote-- I agree, for typical rolling stock. I model in 1:20, and the Bachmann freight cars roll just fine with a drop of lube on each journal. However, I am installing BB's on my hoppers because they are used in actual ballast service, with a 5# load of crushed quartz in each of four cars. Even with the stock "friction" bearings, they roll well, but I want to reduce drag when loaded and in a long train. As for the AMS J&S passenger cars, they rolled like cement blocks until being retrofitted with BB's. Also, an AMS caboose that is being fitted up as a RC/battery car has them installed because of the weight. When poor performing trucks or very heavy loading are involved, BB's are definitely worth the effort to install them.

rpc7271--I have no objection to a hobby provider making a reasonable markup when repackaging items like these to make them readily available to us, but I have to balk when it is taken to an extreme, as this case seems to be. Aristo is probably getting them at the same bulk price as the on-line guys selling them for a buck or so, and they must be making a profit at that.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.