G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1:20.3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been out of the hobby for several years. I got discouraged after I built my outdoor layout than had to tear it out because I was a little over ambitious. I just recently got back into the hobby and I need to battery power two Bachmann Shays and a Bachmann Climax. I have my three truck Shay powered by Locolinc and a two truck Shay powered by RCS, albeit older systems. The question I have is, what are most people using these days for battery power?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby!

Some common battery systems being used right now are RailPro (radio control with touchscreen throttle), Bluerail (Bluetooth controlled via smartphone app), AirWire (radio control with some easy to install drop-in PCBs been made for some locomotives), and RCS.

I personally found RailPro to be the most appealing. I'm a visual person so the color touchscreen throttle with menus and being able to store a profile for each loco in your roster with a photo is neat.

Best,
Mike

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
More and more people are using systems that can incorporate any DCC decoder, which gives them all the bells and whistles (literally). The motor control, lighting features, and the sounds are most developed in DCC decoders.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
More and more people are using systems that can incorporate any DCC decoder, which gives them all the bells and whistles (literally). The motor control, lighting features, and the sounds are most developed in DCC decoders.

Greg
Air Wire and the Revolution developed products that receive radio command and put out DCC information to any DCC decoder. These give you a lot of options. DCC is universal and used by many manufacturers, so you have many brands of decoders that will work. Rail Pro is pretty neat, but you are limited to there products.

·
Premium Member
1:20.3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Air Wire and the Revolution developed products that receive radio command and put out DCC information to any DCC decoder. These give you a lot of options. DCC is universal and used by many manufacturers, so you have many brands of decoders that will work. Rail Pro is pretty neat, but you are limited to there products.
I know absolutely zip about DCC. Does the layout need to be set up to use DCC or are you just using the decoder?

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
the wireless receiver drives the DCC decoder directly. This allows use of any stock DCC decoder, with all the features.

This is the way AirWire works with the CONVRTR and the way the original DeadRail concept works.. (since then deadrail has been abused to mean any battery power)

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Does the layout need to be set up to use DCC or are you just using the decoder?
I believe you have to set up the layout for DCC, by providing constant/fixed power to the track. Each DCC decoder has a full bridge rectifier so the polarity doesn't matter.
Usually each loco has a decoder and they pick up the power and direct it to the motor, speakers, etc., after processing it into variable speed, chuffs, etc. I think - I've never dabbled in it but I have read the directions.

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
Sigh!

there is a receiver with an antenna... it is hooked to your battery.

It has 2 outputs, that connect to the DCC decoder....

motor, lights, speaker all connect to the DCC decoder

Could not be simpler....

Now you send DCC commands over the air..

Airwire does this and so do many other systems. Lots of options.

My point was that it is a simple interface to something that has a lot of functions. IF you want lots of bells and whistles, go with a system that uses a DCC decoder. Even the Phoenix is a DCC decoder.

Now you have a wide range of sounds and functions and hardware to choose from.... lots of flexibility for you.

Then you can select a system that sends DCC commands, and there are several of them.

With more and more people wanting quality sound and more functions, this is the future, not getting locked into a proprietary system and then finding some limitation.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts