G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there are a lot of people going to battery powered remote controlled trains. I see there is a Live Steam section on this forum, how about adding a Battery/RC section?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, I found the battery section. However, it would seem to me that the Steam fourm should be located in the same section.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT technologies, Shayes; live steamers are not necessarily radio controlled. The 3 Accucraft live-steamers I own - 2 different Shays
& a 2-4-2 version of the "Ruby" - all came from the factory as manually controlled locomotives (short translation - you have to CHASE them!
). I installed RC in them myself
, but many live steamers like to run their locomotives "hands-on" & shun
the electronics.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Tom - Battery power doesn't necessarily have to be radio controlled either. Take my "Critter Controls" for example; no R/C and no chasing.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Yep, you're right Del, concerning your "Critter Controls". Del.
In terms of "chasing" manually-controlled live steam, in my own case, that definitely applied to my Ruby # 11 2-4-2, which down my 3% grade turned into a 150-scale-MPH "Acela-wanna-be"
& wrecked spectacularly
several times until I finally got around to installing a "Spektrum" RC system in it this past year.
The Shays were an entirely different animal
- nice & sedate
both up-&-down grade with or without RC.
Tom

·
Registered
213 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 02/05/2009 5:33 PM
Come from the dark side, Del, come into the light of Live Steam... you'lll never want to be in the dark again!

Easy Fellow, I've been rapped on the knuckles for Proselytizing before!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Gee, I thought the "Darkside" was track power and I'd already seen the light. Isn't Live Steam oily and dirty and smokey and all those other prototypical things we read about in the history books?

(Proselytizing - I had to look that one up)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I believe Mr. Hayes was referring to that Battery/RC is listed in the separate Sound & Power section of the forums. He does have a point that Live Steam should have been in that section also.

-Brian

·
Registered
213 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 02/05/2009 5:47 PM
Tain't Proselytizing!!!! Just throwin' a rope to a drowning man!

I hear ya!......

Hey Del, me too...right after I was accused of doing it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts