G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best battery power system for a Bachmann 2-6 Mogul? I have mainly considered the Crest and RCS systems, but not limited to those.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I like the AirWire system. I can put that system, a Phoenix P-5 sound system, a speaker and a 4.5AH battery completely within the tender.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Welcome to MLS.

Just a note: the Whyte designation for a Mogul is 2-6-0; that trailing "0" has significance, telling that there are no trailing wheels. But, using the term "Mogul" does pretty much determine that your intent is the designation is a 2-6-0 so your question is understood, but just for completeness, be sure to specify all three wheel positions.

Same for the 4-4-0 (or American), that is 4 leading wheels, 4 Drive wheels and no trailing wheels; if you leave the trailing "0" off you cannot tell if it might be a 0-4-4 (which is a Forney).

BTW: The dashes also have meaning. The "-" indicates a flexible connection and a "+" is a rigid connection: if a loco is listed as a 4-4+2 then the trailing wheels are rigidly attached to the frame, whereas a 4-4-2 the trailing wheels are flexibly connected to the frame.

Just for our European friends, I should point out that they designate the arrangement by axle count, thus a Mogul is a 1-3-0.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had great success with the RCS product line. The pre and post sale service are 2nd to None!

Take some time to read through the Battery/RC forums...from there you may get a better understanding of what is avail and what may suit your needs the best. I have an Annie converted (all ele in tender) and an American 4-4-0 awaiting funds to convert (others converted as well, but not tender engines).

A few years ago when I started up, I read and re-read every post on Batt and RC that I could find. I also contacted the different dealers and mfg to ask all kinds of questions...I did my home work...as mentioned above I began with RCS and have no plans to use another control system.

cale

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
And if you're on a tight budget, the Aristo TE's are quite inexpensive. Since I only use my Bachmann loco at shows and the like, I run it on plain Duracell AA batteries and a TE receiver, all in the tender. If I used it more often, I'd put rechargable batteries in.

Airwire and RCS are both very cool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Torby, Which mogul is that? the mining one or the...

the other one...

I can't fit a TE receiver in the latter's tender (about 4mm too wide) and am still pondering ideas...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
"Best" depends on what features you are looking for (or what features you find that you like the best). Check the classifieds here for a new simple low cost R/C system. And don't limit yourself to radio control. There are other options for battery power such as semi-automated (hands on to start and stop, with automated ramp rates and station stops). You can't go wrong with any of the systems mentioned above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts