G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my TOC modified RCS Connie out of temp storage after about seven months of down time - still runs toots rings and clanks just fine thank you.

What should I do to maintain top conditioning for my battery? Run it till it stops and then re-charge? Re-charge now? Run it till  it stops, play sounds till they stop then re-charge? Send it back to TOC for new batteries? (Just jpking on that last one.) 

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
What kind of batteries?

NiCads have pretty much beaten the "memory" problem, and it doesn't apply to NiMH or Li-Ion. I've always heard that you should store them fully charged, but then, that doesn't seem to apply to NiMH or Li-Ion. Perhaps you should ask the TOC.

Mine don't sit that long;)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I recharge my NiMH batteries every three months when just sitting or when they get low during ops. The 14.4 v packs have held up well for over 5 years with no failures so far. A charge takes about 14-16 hours and I keep a notebook to tell me when they were last charged.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I do find my NiMH batteries last lots longer on the 5th charge than they did on the 1st. Seems to take them a few cycles to really get to working.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Posted By Mike Reilley on 12/03/2008 7:27 PM
Dead link....to Battery University
Yes, I noticed that when I posted it. but I know it is a good link. I was just there yesterday. Hopefully, it is temporary.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have that web page bookmarked. It worked fine here at 10.30 GMT/UTC (05.30 ET).

I have NiMH 9.6V batteries in series which will run, it seems, an RS3 plus seven 40ft. cars for around 2 hours. I hope Tom is correct in what he says about improvements. However, as I usually only run after lunch, and the days are short (dark now before 5pm) two hours in sufficient. Anyway I can always switch to track if necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Worked for me just now.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Maybe it's something between you and it rather than Battery University itself, did you try flushing the cache.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Road Foreman on 12/04/2008 8:14 AM
SteveC,

Need help!! What is "flushing the cache" ??
Thanks

BulletBob
Making the assumption (dangerous I know) that you're serious, I'm referring to forcibly deleting the Temporary Internet Files stored on your local system.
[*] Assuming the use of some flavor of MS/Internet Explorer.
[*] {Ctrl+F5}
Refresh the current Web page, even if the time stamp for the Web version and your locally stored version are the same.

[*] Tools menu > Internet Options... >
The next actions depend on the particular version of MS/Internet Explorer you are using, but what you want to accomplish is deleting the Temporary Internet files.
[/list] [/list] Because sometimes when you can't make a connection to a specific web site and wind up getting some type of error screen. Depending on the manner in which you've configured certain of your browser's settings. The next time you attempt to access the same site your system doesn't go any further than your local cache and reloads the previous browser error screen, never actually going to the Internet and attempting to make the connection.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
CCSII & C.T.

True, true, but then there are some that would view the hobby that we indulge and love in the exact same light.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts