G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some extra Milwaukee battery chargers for their 14 volt cordless drill batteries. What, if anything, can they be used for other than for the original purpose they were made for? Would the guts have any use in our hobby?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Oh yeah....they make great batteries for trains....especially GOOD batteries like the ones that Milwaukee uses. Get yourself a Maha charger...strip em out of the case (they're tabbed too)...and make packs from them. Hopefully, Greg will jump in here...he gave me some computer batteries...to use in my trains. Further, even when a drill pack goes bad, if you take it apart, you'll likely find that only one cell has failed...and that the rest are just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
How many is Extra?

What do they look like?

The "GUTS" could be used for building lighting or street lighting if you have 14 volt bulbs or better, or put a resistor in series.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted By John J on 11/24/2008 8:45 PM
How many is Extra?

What do they look like?

The "GUTS" could be used for building lighting or street lighting if you have 14 volt bulbs or better, or put a resistor in series.

Basically they are a power pack that puts out 14 volts? Is that correct John?

·
Super Modulator
21,145 Posts
Quite often, these kind of "tool chargers" apply a very high voltage at the beginning of the charge cycle... I would throw them away, they are not general purpose power supplies, are not filtered, and they are designed to charge the specific batteries that came with them....

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Greg. I tested the amount of voltage they put out when a load is first applied. It turns out to be 24+ volts. I decided to forget about doing anything with them other than place them on Ebay. As you may know from some of my past posts, I am not an electronic rocket scientist. I'll stick with the basic electrical principals that all of those electricians I have ever had on my jobs needed to know; Black to Black, White to White, and Payday is on Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By Madman on 11/28/2008 7:29 PM
Thanks Greg. I tested the amount of voltage they put out when a load is first applied. It turns out to be 24+ volts. I decided to forget about doing anything with them other than place them on Ebay. As you may know from some of my past posts, I am not an electronic rocket scientist. I'll stick with the basic electrical principals that all of those electricians I have ever had on my jobs needed to know; Black to Black, White to White, and Payday is on Friday.

The way I learned it was Black to Brass, White to bright, Green to ground, Payday is on Friday

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey John, are you one of those sparkys I was poking fun at?

·
Super Modulator
21,145 Posts
The question was about using the battery chargers for something. I think that's settled. (I have some that say that 110v can be present!).

But you ask: "ok ok so the chargers won't work, but what about the batteries that fir in them"

The literal answer to your question is: "The chargers themselves contain no batteries".

What I think you are asking is: "can you use milwaukee batteries"?

Of course, there are many people using them, of all brands... now you get into form factor, and how to connect the charger, and if you make the battery removable, etc. This is a common practice.... surf the forum, plenty of examples.

Specifically, the Milwaukee batteries are very compact, and easy to interface to.

Hope one of my answers was helpful.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I have repaired several of these chargers and the line voltage is rectified and sent to a storage capacitor which can be at 160 volts DC and be there when the unit is first unplugged.

These can kill!!!!

Output of this unit is for either 14 or 18 volt batteries.

Not too useful as a power supply, but great as a charger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts