G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looking for ideas for battery car. This loco will serve a mining operation.
Maybe a tool car?
First battery project in 20 years, new technology. Found an old one in the parts bin with a wound, servo controlled speed control.... sigh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battery car ideas

Good suggestions:
I need to figure out my size and dimensions for batteries. What is optimal voltage?
12/1.2=10 cells probably C type in order to get the mAh requirements.

Any general rules on that? Resources?

Thanks,
WES

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just converted my Bachmann Porter to battery power. Went with the MTO Train 09 battery. The battery car is a Bachmann 40' log car and the run time so far is 6 hours with out much change in speed. Very happy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not sure what engine you will use, if it's a diesel there are many way to get it all in under the hood of many diesels, I'm using an LGB 2063 D&RGW switcher #50 and all fits under the hood on the engine. With todays Li-ion batteries you can get by with smaller batteries that will fit in many smaller spaces, plus the power from them is great. Remember your mine train will probably have a small engine and all this is probably doable with run times of around 2-3 hours.

trainman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just converted my Bachmann Porter to battery power. Went with the MTO Train 09 battery. The battery car is a Bachmann 40' log car and the run time so far is 6 hours with out much change in speed. Very happy.
Hello Mlycan,

Can you share details about your install, like what other parts were used for your conversion? I have been looking at the MTO batteries for my USA Trains & Piko Steam but I'm not sure if I need PCB boards as well or fuses.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts