G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fifty Years Old and still going strong..with a little help from my friends
This engine was originally in kit form. It ran (just) on a small piece of straight track in the guys garden in Cardiff, Wales from where I bought it.
It was made to Gauge 3 scale 17/32nds and to run on 2 1/2" (63.5mm) track. My track here at Thurnby combines 45mm and 64mm. Having said that my G3 G1 is only combined on one circuit which has no points or cross overs. Combining two gauges is a 'frog' nightmare.

My friend John Shawe replaced the boiler and lots of plumbing and subsequently a new blower and super heater and it has run beatifully ever since.
At a meeting last Sunday it became apparent that the axle/hand pump, which has never been touched in all these years, was not delivering as it should have been.....The engine likes 3/4 full water in the glass to make sufficient steam, which it normally does with the help of its eight burners. Yes it is spirit fired and yes those burners have also been replaced.
Well along comes Rod Blakeman and before you can say Cab Forward all is working well again with lots of water and pressure. Well what do you expect from from an Accucraft man??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Trevor

Great photographs of a magnificent locomotive. It was a treat to see it in action recently and I am pleased to hear that, with a little on-going maintenance, your Flying Scotsman is ready for many more steamups. It would be a shame for this locomotive to become a mantleshelf queen. Steam locomotives are living breathing machines and deserve to be run. I always feel sad to see them confined permanently to display cases or storage shelves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts