G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Move over cars...live steam UP 4-8-4 with cars and 1/2 mile track made by Daniel Boone the 6th for $150,000

·
Registered
834 Posts
Where did I see that? Isn't it 7 1/2" gauge?

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Charles and others

Except for the fact that it has a non prototype set of lettering that reads "Union Pacific", the ONLY similarity to that engine and an FEF [of any class] is the 4-8-4 wheel arrangement. I have seen this engine offered for sale before at a similar [or higher] price. The family is very impressed with their own [alleged] lineage, as well as the skills of the builder. From the text description, it is clear the seller knows little or nothing about model engineering. At best it is a crude model, no matter the quality of the machining. The price is about $125,000 TOO HIGH.

As usual, just my biased opinion based on few facts and lots of observation.

Regards

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
But, but, but,....

All that shiny brass has GOT to increase the value - you know, bling bling and all that? It's a one-of-a-kind model. Who else has polished brass rivet heads? And it's got a manual transmission!

·
Registered
834 Posts
"And it's got a manual transmission" but does it have paddle shift?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I want to shop where Dr. Rivet shops, You get ride on live steam 4-8-4, with tender, 4 cars and a half mile of track for "150k, minus the "125k too high", that leaves 25k"....not bad...

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Jeff

Sorry, I forgot about the track.

Based on recent auctions at ME shows, 25K (20K for the loco, 5K for the cars) is not unheard of, especially when the bona fides of the builder as a competent ME is unknown. 5200 ft of aluminum rail [1/2 mile of track] (used) is still only worth marginally more than the scrap price. So, I think we are still less than $30K. Can you buy to Aster C&O H-8s for that?

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim
Seems to me that true story line; instead of ebay sell your train items at Barrett Jackson (even with the commission) given the high end customers that are drawn into the "big show" under the big top for any thing that has wheels (as event by the 12 foot three wheeler with the hemi engine).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts