G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have created a new web site about Baldwin Locomotive Works. It talks about the history and how they worked. At this time it is only three pages but I hope with the help of you guys and enough suggestions it could soon grow much larger. Stop by and have a look at www.baldwinlocomotiveworks.org . Make suggestions and tell me what you think all comments are appreciated hopefully it will soon become a large site.

Thanks,
Brittany

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
You have an excellent subject to work with and a daunting task! I have a couple of books about the Baldwin Locomotive Works and it is a fascinating history! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Brittany

Maybe you'll find this of use.

Baldwin Locomotive Works
Narrow Gauge Locomotives
File Type: PDF/File Size: 8.73MB
Left-click to Open - Right-click to download

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a good book on Baldwin, "The Baldwin Locomotive Works 1832-1915" by John K. Brown, published by the Johns Hopkins Press. This is a business book rather than a railfan puff piece and it is very interesting to note that BLW was anything but an always-thriving business. They were often in dire need of capital, which Matthias Baldwin sometimes just simply went around begging for, if not at times nearly in the hands of financiers or receivers. One reason for this was BLW's marketing strategy. Most locomotive builders in that era had established catalogues and one would select from a few models the one which most closely met your motive power need. At Baldwins, while they did publish catalogues of expamples of their work, they had no "standard" models, every locomotive was treated as a custom job which tailored to suit a clients individual need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts