G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was doing a search for Baldwin locomotives, and came across this old book in Villanova's library (where else?)

Thought some of you guys might like to see it.  

http://digital.library.villanova.edu/Pennsylvaniana/Pennsylvaniana-00004.xml

It doesn't have all that much information in it, and reads sort of like a borchure, but it is kind of interesting.  If you download the PDF version, it is a lot easier to read.

Mark

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Thanks for that Mark,I have seen extracts from this book before somewhere on the net but never the whole thing,its now saved to my laptop and I will read it at leisure.
You can never have too much in the way of historical documents.
By the way I have a large collection, inherited from my Dad,of The Railway Magazine. Mainly from the 30's,40's,50's & 60's and although a UK publication there are articles from all over. If anyone needs info from these mags I may be able to help.
Regards
Bunny

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
This is a really great resource. I have a bunch of early Baldwin catalogues, but the 1871 has always eluded me (too scarce, too expensive). Having it in a really high-quality scan like this is invaluable!

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,

When I was an undergraduate, and supposed to be studying, I would invariably end up on the fourth floor of the Falvey Library, and back toward the 'railroad' section.  Someone must have donated all of their railroad books.  My favorite was the PRR trackside in the 1950s, but there were others, too.  I think I may have actually thumbed through this book once or twice, but I don't remember now.   The time I spent looking through their collection was when I realized that I missed the familiar face of the New Haven's FL-9s running on the branch line where I grew up.   That section of the library also overlooks the Amtrak / SEPTA 4 track mainline between Philly and Harrisburg, so there was always a train every 15 minutes.   Another interesting book they had was a study on the newly built "Schuykill Expressway" versus the PRR's suburban train service.  Guess what? it didn't work.  The study was dated 1959.  Anyone from Philly care to comment on that study?

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts