G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Wichita, KS, this past Saturday, Feb.7th, a Bald Eagle was released from captivity/rehabilitation after being caught in a coyote trap, injuring its foot. Without the use of its talons, the eagle would not have been able to survive. The Raptor Center, in Cheney, KS, under the direction of Ken Lockwood nursed the eagle, named "Trapper John" back to health allowing the release. There was a ceremony with several hundred spectators. Special guests, the Patriot Guard, were in full presence. Thanks were given honoring all our present military personel and Veterans. It was an honor to see the great symbol of our nation, this proud bird, fly to freedom .

Jim Carter

Trapper John flew NW over the Arkansas River until out of sight.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Good Picture Jim.

The last time I saw Wichita, KS, was back in the 50's after it had been mostly destroyed after a tornado. I remember it to be a great place to fly Kites. They would stay up for weeks. We would see Eagles when flying the Kites and wonder if they would attack the kites.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Back in 2006, I was privileged to participate in the raising and release of nine bald eagle chicks here in Vermont. Saw two of them fledge--take their very first flight--and the thrill of that made all the mosquito bites and hikes in the rain carrying raw fish worth it!

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts