G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
Has anyone built a throttle for a bagrs locomotive? I swore I had the article on how to build one from "steam in the garden" but I can't find it anywhere/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif If someone could give some quick pointers on what I need that would be great!
Also, is there a reason that I should not use balsa for the frame? Is it strong enough?
thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Matt,
I dont recall ever seeing an article in SITG about a Bagrs throttle..
must have been before I started subscribing..(about 6 years now)

you could drop Ron Brown an email and ask what issue it was in,
and you could then get the issue directly from him, if he has it in stock..

as for balsa, I would say no..
far too flimsy, soft and weak.

Scot

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I don't recommend balsa because it is too light and you want the unit to weigh enough for traction. Go to a good hobby store and buy some Midwest hardwood. I used their walnut. Since the midwest steam motor runs at a constant speed and it is geared down, you don't really need a throttle. It's not in this picture, but I did add a needle valve in the steam line to allow the boiler to get good pressure, but it didn't work very well as a throttle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again,
I thought it was in steam in the garden but maybe it was somewhere else... its tough getting old!
As for the wood, I was looking at the midwest stuff today and most of it was balsa, but I will try somewhere else this week.
The problem with the speed is that I might not gear it down. I was thinking of running the chain right from the engine to the wheel... If that can't be done then it is back to the drawing board.
thanks for the info
Matt

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I was thinking of running the chain right from the engine to the wheel...

That little oscillator might not have enough torque to drive the wheels directly, especially if your locomotive is heavier than the prototype model.

If you use the gear reduction method you should not need a throttle. Mine runs at a nice slow pace with the original gear reduction scheme. :)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I have used small Aquarium Air Valves successfully on these low pressure jobs. Just cut the silicone line & slide it on each side of the valve. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

If you need weight for traction, just load it with Ozark Miniatures detail parts like Carl did /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts