G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried about every method there is to organize my "To-Do-Lists", both at work and on the garden railroad. It seems that as soon as I write down the task to be done, it is doomed. I always work on the latest project idea, or the must do repairs, and the things that got written down usually get lost. I can't even remember where I put the list! How do you do it?

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Del, mostly it's the unfinished projects on/around the workbench staring me in the face every time I go down to the shop. Gotta stop ordering more transfers from you and get back to the 2-6-2 project that hasn't been touched since January (that will need transfers also when I finally finish and paint it). Then there are the cars that followed me home from the ECLSTS that need modification (and transfers), and completion of the second mainline outside with the track supplies that have arrived, and finishing the details on the converted-to-battery power speeder that checks the track before each steaming session. I just wore myself out thinking about all this--now I need a nap.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My problem is that I have a table full of dead or crippled locomotives and rolling stock that I can't remember what the specific problem was (Bad Order) that put it on the table (RIP Track).

Since I live on a PC, I have tried spreadsheets, task lists built into MS Outlook, and just plain MS Word files. Trouble is, they aren't staring me in the face so I forget they even exist.

I have also tried a white board out in the shop. I write new problems down as they pop up. This seems to work better than the PC files, but not enough room to fully describe the problems.

While running trains, I keep a small clip board handy to jot down issues as they occur, or ideas for yet another new project.

I am going to try a new process: At the end of the operating session, I am going to transfer the info/idea from the clip board to either a 3X5 card or a string tag. The 3X5 cards will be put in a box (or just a stack with a rubber band). They will document a problem that needs to be corrected out on the railroad. As work progresses on the problem, the card can also be used to keep track of parts needed, parts ordered, etc. String tags will be attached to physical items in the shop that have been removed from the railroad for service, i.e. locos, rolling stock, buildings. The tag can either contain a short description of the problem, or else reference a No. for detailed info on a 3X5 card.

As with most of my "To-Do" systems, this one ought to last at least long enough to document all of the problems. Question is, will anything ever get fixed? (Don't have time, cause I'm working on this new project ... )

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Some are in my head others in my train room waiting to be finished. My next project is to letter my hartland passenger cars and weather them. The letters should arrive this mon or tues then i can get started. Does this sound familiar del.:):)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Super Modulator
21,221 Posts
Actually. my to do list is on a "hidden" web page on my web site. It includes a shopping list, and an inventory, and to-do actions.

Thus, wherever I am, I can get to it and check it. (Obviously I always have a computer nearby).

My site allows me to update it from any computer anywhere, no software required.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Del, 

This poll well explains why so much is never accomplished.  I reckon most of us are forgetful or have many other things in mind 

Of course keeping the trains running is most folks priority and much more fun that sorting out problems.   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine is on a network or I should say stored in a SQL server and pumps out to a web page. I have a form to do the updating as needed on the web, or a VBnet frontend to do it as needed. I can also do it with a PDA so no matter where I am I can work on my RR needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts