G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day all,

Those who have been following my postings on the Master Class and Articles forum will know that I’ve encountered a bit of a bump in life’s road, for those and everyone else, I offer the following.

11 years ago I was diagnosed with COPD that is chronic bronchitis, asthma and emphysema. This is treated with occasional use of steroidal medication that can cause osteoporosis or weakening of the bones. As a consequence, I have had to use a walking cane for some years now in advance of an eventual hip replacement.

At the beginning of June this year I had a sudden increase in pain in my trouble-some hip. The hip was X-rayed and diagnosed as a sprain which is common in cases such as mine. The “sprain” never got better, so in mid September I saw the doctor again. X-rays showed that the whole neck of the femur (that’s the narrow bit of bone at the top of the thigh bone) had completely collapsed in on its-self - so, total hip replacement! All went well and I am now back to driving the car etc.

However.

The piece of bone that was removed from my hip proved to be cancerous.

I have been X-rayed, CT scanned and Radio Bone Scanned and the result is that I have “dispersed metastasised carcinomas with no known primary locus”. This translates as I have multiple secondary cancers spread through my bones and organs but the doctors can find no original cancer source.

Life expectancy - 50% of sufferers die within 8 months of diagnosis, the remainder may survive as long as 2 years.

Treatment - no treatment is available for such diverse and dispersed cancers. Pain relief is offered via radiotherapy and drugs.

I am already using 37micrograms per hour of morphine in patches with mixed relief. I have just completed 5 days of radiotherapy on the hip and a large growth in my spine.

My model making is slowing down now and I doubt that I shall be able to complete my project of 2 Carter Bros coaches and a full baggage coach. I have finally completed my combine except for the lettering. I will post some photos of the combine in all its glory over in the master class forum.

Now while I am able, I want to say thank you to all the contributors here on MLS both present and past for your help, encouragement and support through all the years and I hope that the MLS community will continue to offer to the same to those who come after.

This is not good-bye, I intend to be around for a good while yet contributing where I may and learning where I can.

Meanwhile, my tag line still holds!

Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your news, but you attitude seems great and that will help you going through this. I'll be offering up a prayer next time I'm near a church. Hang in there. Peter.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Wow Tim, that is quite a shock. Hang in there and do the best you can, you seem to have a good attitude. A good friend of mine was affected by Agent Orange in Vietnam, he was confined to a wheel chair, he told me he had the choice to do what he could or sit around and feel sorry for himself and he chose to do the best he could. I always thought that was inspiring.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Tim
We will keep you in our prayers and thoughts. Hopefully, your ability and wishes to keep active will help you in your time of need.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Tim,

Sorry to hear that as well. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
410 Posts
Its been a pleasuring watching you work and the inspiriation you provided doing so much with so little. I hope you can continue to model build when able. Hang in there and keep up the spirits. We wish you well mate.
Looking forward to seeing your work continue.

Best regards,
David.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Oh, Tim. I'm so sorry to hear.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Tim;
I admire and respect you. It takes courage to post this publicly as you have done. I am sure your courage will serve you well in whatever lays ahead. Thank you for tremendous respect and grace you have shown us all by sharing a most personal matter with us. You and your work are indeed inspirational. Keep up the good attitude and I too look forward to seeing more of your work as you are able.
John

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Tim,

So sorry to hear of your problems. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good work you do for as long as you can. We all benefit from your excellent work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts