G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a bachmann rail truck.

Sorry, I can not take it back it was a gift (don't know where it was bought).

It runs backward, to all of my other engines.

I run regular track power,2 trains on the same track (start and stop system) and it goes backward while all others go forward, this will never work.

Do all railtrucks run backward?

Is there a reverse switch on it, for the motor somewhere?

Please, Don't tell me to take it apart and reverse the motor wires, thats not an option.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Dave, I don't own one of the Bachmann rail trucks myself (at least not yet, but I'm thinking about one at the right price
), but it's a relatively recent Bachmann "Spectrum" product, most of which have a 3-position switch to select "Large Scale" (LGB-compatible) direction, a center "off" position, or a "NMRA-standard" direction (naturally opposite to the LGB one!
). I think it's located under the wooden box on the railtruck bed; you might want to post your question on the Bachmann bulletin board ("Ask the Bach-Man", large-scale section). Hope that helps!
Tom

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Dave: Lift up the cover on the box in the bed of the truck. It just snapps off. There is a switch there thats numbered 0 thru 3 move the switch to either 2 or 3 to pick the right direction. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Dave

You have received good advice on the switch for selecting current polarity.

You started your commentary by saying your Railtruck ran backwards. In fact, in the North American model railroad parlance, your other locos ran backwards as they failed to comply with NMRA accepted standards on polarity. Bachmann makes locos in all scales and tries to observe the accepted standards to allow interoperability although the do recognize backwards running polarity by providing a switch. The non standard polarity was introduced by LGB who used the opposite polarity in a European context and who, i might add, have never been known to recognize the possibility of any approaches other than their own.

You will find over time as you work with the various large scale pieces of equipment, that there is a mentality among several key suppliers that a proprietary approach is what should be used. This is seen in things like couplers, control systems and sometimes track (guaging standards). All of us benefit from standards and their acceptance by all suppliers. On a personal level, having lived through all this in HO a great many years ago, I have a real distaste for proprietary solutions and given any choice at all, I simply won't buy from a company who tries to force their own approach.

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
It's just being contrary :D

G

·
You have been well informed with the posting above, now you may want to investigate this following post, it is a Must to maintain a good running Railtruck!

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=5870

Tom, I bought mine for less than $115. thought it a good deal! I like it, but don't run it too much due to the grades on the current line! I've converted ours to RCS and Battery control. Once the above 'procedure' is complete, it's a really nice little add-on to anyone's line!

Merry Christmas!

cale

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to ALL.

Number 3 did it.

0. nothing

1. lights

2. reverse

3. LGB, USA direction

This is my first Bachmann product, it was won at our train club Chistmas party (grand prize).

I just read the article, mine makes some noise, but NOWHERE near the noise the one in the video makes.

Are ALL of these railtrucks doomed, with out the fix?

Should I put it on the shelf and display it (forget about it)?

Thanks again to all, for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
So far I have not noticed the gear noise. I will be up grading this truck to DCC soon.. Later RJD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts