G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been nagging Accucraft to make a version of their C-19 with the East Broad Top details, as EBT #7 was a D&RGW loco that they didn't want to take at that time, so EBT got it. However, Accu show no signs of doing so, and they admit they don't have enough pre-orders to start the EBT #12 project [get your deposits in now if you ever want to see one.] So I may have to take matters into my own hands.

The first question for you folk is this: can the old-style domes on the Accucraft C-16 be swapped onto a C-19?
My C-16 sand dome unscrews and the water filler plug is underneath. I believe the steam dome also unscrews for access to the safety valve, but I haven't needed to remove that yet. Can anyone who has a C-19 confirm the same arrangement is used? Anyone know if they are swappable?

Part of my EBT C19 project will be to replace the tender with a more generic 1890-1900 style low-sided tender. I'm working on persuading Accucraft to sell me an RGS #41 with a DSP&P #51 tender, but not holding my breath. (The tender on the original C-16 #42 and RGS #9, plus the new DSP&P #51 fit the bill.)

Anyone want to trade my large tender like this: Accucraft C-19 RGS #41 photo link for a small one like this: Accucraft DSP&P #51 page link ?

[Incidentally, there's a gorgeous photo of the latest Accucraft C-16 on the 1:20.3 blog:
Accucraft DSP&P #51 Large Photo Link ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pete, both the staem and sand dome are screwed on from inside the boiler. Would the fluted domes that are on the CRRM c-10 work for you?
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Pete

Not all the live steam domes unscrew and also the base is still attached from the underside. The domes would be no issue as worst case I can mill the correct radius if you need on any dome you like. Helps that I have access to a 36" bridgeport for my work. I am also am turning a few domes for myself on another project and as long as you have drawings to go from I can turn them for you. Brass I already have left over from the Ruby Cylinders 1.5" x 1.5" SQ and about 7' of it....

Back to the OEM domes, on my K28 the sand dome is from underneath and the top of the steam dome removes but leaving the whole base and center attached with 2 screws from underneath, same for the 4-4-0 that I have. Mogul also is the same with the bases attached from the underside. Being that they don't have a uniform way of making domes I think that it would be hard to mate up a base with a different dome top. Of course they are known to fudge it too and use a dome or tender thay already have too!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Pete:
My C-16 domes unscrew from the base which remains on the boiler jacket. The bases are attaced from the inside with a couple of philip head screws. I have always wanted to back date the domes on this engine but could never get Cliff to comitt to sending me the fluted style. Sigh! Wish you luck. Keep at them and mabey they will realize that there is a market out here for such stuff. I have fluted domes for the sparky version but they do not work for the steam.
Noel

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get Cliff to comitt to sending me the fluted style

Noel,

I was wondering if the C-19 domes attach the same way.

Incidentally, Col RR Mus got a batch of C-19s with non-fluted domes, so Accu sent them replacement flutes. Ask Cliff if he has any left over!

P.S. There are fluted domes on the Accucraft website "Store". The steam dome is AP-11206.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts