G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Got my K-27 (#453). This is only my 3rd loco and I'm far from an expert, but thought I'd share my first impressions with those considering this loco:

- Packed really well
- Nice DVD on history of the K-27 and product info
- Detailed parts and wiring diagrams
- Great looking model
- All parts came installed
- Easy access to switches on both the loco (smoke and lights) and tender (power pickup, direction and motor on/off)
- Lighter weight than I thought it would be (I'd guess around 10 lbs - I was expecting a heavier loco as my LGB Mikado is 16 lbs.)
- Fast runner, really moves out
- Slow speed control not as good as other engines I have
- Slows down and speeds up on even slight grades
- Details galore!!!
- Awnings over the cab windows feel like real awnings
- Smoke unit works well at higher speeds (higher volts), pretty descent smoke, but seemed to spit and pop more than smoke at low speeds (low volts)
- Firebox simulation is much better than my LGB Mikado, and it even opens
- Classification lights that work! Although they do seem a bit orange
- Headlight and rear light were both on in both directions
- Cab light seemed dim, but probably more prototypical than my other locos
- With the weather my track needs some serious work, but it managed very well with the front wheels derailing once while rounding a corner (may have run over a twig)
- Ran through my 8' diameter curves no problem
- My only complaint is the wires going from the loco to the tender are difficult to unplug
- Overall I believe a very good value for the money

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I agree.  The worst part of the K27 is unpluging the tender.  I have had to lay a towel out next to the track and tip the engine and tender on their side inorder to get to the plugs to release them.  I have found that it is possible to push the plugs in almost all the way.  They will then conduct and are easy to unplug.  I am giving some thought to cutting off the locking tabs.  That is the only real problem I have encountered so far.  It is a truely impressive locomotive. 

I just got word that I'll be receiving two Accucraft J&S coaches tomorrow!!

Cheers to all.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Chuck, thanks for the tip on the plugs, I'll try that and hopefully that will make it easer to unplug.

Please post pics with your K pulling the J&S coaches! I have some coming from Jonathan as well.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Thanks for your comments and observations Chuck. I won't be able to run mine for a while. Too cold and too much snow. I will check out those locking tabs. I've also had some trouble disconnecting my LGB Mikado as well. Their all just are to reach. Please post some pics of those J&S coaches when you can. I suspect there are at least a thousand of us that are anxious to see them.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Bachmann has, indeed, offered both a square-back Tender and a curved-back one, depending on the Locomotive number you order. I think it is cool that Bachmann offers prototypical, Locomotive number specific differences. You could receive a black Loco with a square-back Tender - A black one with a round-back tender and a Snowplow, or you could order one with either a black or green Boiler. Small differences in specific detail points, notwithstanding, I think it is a beautiful piece, and at a price that is not above the snow line, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I just finished unpacking two J&S Accucraft coaches.  I'll try to take some pictures this afternoon.  Right now it is snowing.  I think that I'll start a new topic with the pictures.

Chuck N

PS  they are really nice.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
As I posted in another thread, I get my J&S coaches from Jonathan this afternoon. I am anxiously awaiting to see how "cool" they look!:cool: Looking forward to your pix.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Chuck that's great! I'll look forward to watching for them. I've just contacted my LHS and theirs are on the way. Guess I drive to Albuquerque this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I've taken the pictures, but I can't get into my web space to upload them to MLS. I've sent a help note to Shad.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Round Two is now officially underway. Having received the WRONG one from the first try, we're now hoping the RIGHT one is in the box.

The box left Ridge Road today, and is scheduled for delivery next Tuesday. This one, hopefully will contain the Post Wreck 455!

From there the adventure really begins!

Matthew (OV)

61 - 75 of 75 Posts