G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Doc. I really like the idea of plenty of room for figures in the cab.:) It sure is one fine looking engine.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Bob,

Got her all straightened out yet?  How did this mail order session go (other than the delayed shipping)?

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By svanni on 01/09/2008 8:48 PM
Haven't seen TOC post in a while. After all the "spirited" Bachmann discussion just wondering if he will review the K27? Plus Stan and the other gentleman kind of dropped off too? ?? Are they still waiting on Bachmann to bless their review/solutions?

He has posted a few short notes on LSC:

here is the latest:
www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php
and a few others
there are more......

cale

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
This is a second posting...my first one seems to have disappeared into a black hole. I just got mine today. No. 464 with the snow plow. After careful opening of the package material and examination of the locomotive and tender, everything was perfect. Bachmann's packaging was excellent.

I for one am grateful that Bachmann waited to ship these locomotives until they were able to include the DVD and instruction manual. I have found them to be excellent and clear guidance to get started (lube requirements, etc.). It appears that installation of a sound system will be easy, but since I'm a novice at this, I'll wait until I hear comments from others and Curmudgeon as well. The locomotive comes with a bunch of additional items, including the little men. I think we all can do better with other sources for the little men.

I'm anxious to hear from Curmudgeon when he receives his and when he has an opportunity to examine them closely. From all appearances, the locomotive appears to be well made and designed. It is heavy. Not so much perhaps as a Hudson, but still nevertheless, heavy enough to likely pull well. I am especially interested in this issue since i have 3.5%+ grades on one long segment of my layout. And since we also have over a foot of snow on the ground, it will be awhile before I will be really able to see how it performs. One thing I've noted is that the model is prototypically low in profile. I suspect it will require level and even track to run well. Argh, big job this spring.

I'll post pics, when my link to my MLS storage spaced in fixed. In the meantime have fun and share your opinions of what you observe.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hi, Rich.
I've been watching.
It has not been a pleasant couple of months, but it looks like it is sorting itself out.
I do have one.
I have been passing data to Tony for him to generate needed circuitry.
I have spent considerable time wringing it out.
I have 4 customer mods on GR and LSC, just found an annoying rattle tonight and posted that.
Hard one to find.
The things I have done have actually made others easier.
The chuff circuit is a snap, for all users, and does not require any electronics, other than parts that come with the sound systems.
Mine will be documented, as will the others I will be doing.
I did do a free-rolling test, and with 11 of the Bachmann 1:22.5 cars on a 4% downgrade, at moderate speed, the entire train took about 3 feet to stop.
That is more than acceptable.
There are other things, which have been done to mine, that are not my place to discuss.

Even with the sideplay mod, the locomotive glides around LGB 1600 curves and turnouts, which are tighter than 8' diameter, and I KNOW where the locomotive will be pointing when it comes out of the curve.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Got a couple of questions on the K-27.

- Is the clear bottle of liquid smoke fluid?
- There isn't a chain on the front coupler and I don't see one in the bag of parts is there supposed to be?
- I have the 453 so it has a doghouse, are the windows and door supposed to work? I tried opening them but didn't want to apply too much pressure in case they are not operational?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes,  The clear fluid is smoke fluid.  Also, my dog house door does open.  While on that subject, can someone explain what was the purpose of the dog house?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I'm no expert, so this could be wrong, but I heard there were rules put in place because so many brakemen were getting killed they had to have a protected place for them. I heard the rule when in between the K-27 and K-28, that is why all the K-28s have a doghouse but only the 453 had one.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Curmudgeon,
Good to hear from you and that you have a K-27 too. It will be good to hear your comments when you're ready. Good to hear the locomotive will handle sharp curves adequately. I've 8' dia curves at one point only. Sounds like I will do alright. Have a nice weekend. Me, I'm still ducking snowflakes and drifts.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I got mine last Monday. Mine came from RLD Hobbies. They were very helpful and even emailed me updates on shipping. The price was good too. I love the loco. The detail level is good. Yes, the Doghouse door does open revealing a little seat and a valve inside for the Brakeman to fiddle with when he's bored. The Coupler Lift Bars do not have chains, and none were shipped with my #453. I just took some spare chain and attached it between the Coupler and the Lift Bar with some tiny wire. I especially like the fact that all the pertinent electronics are in the Tender shell. I can't wait until the folks Downunder come out with PnP board for it. Then I will "battery-ize" it and actually get to run it! I have checked the details against my pictorial record of the "K", and find the details pretty good. A quick trip to the Ozark Miniatures or Trackside Details sites will cure any shortcomings.

http://www.ozarkminiatures.com
http://www.tracksidedetails.com/

·
Registered
148 Posts
Now that some of you have the K27s, did any of them come with the tsunami sound, and if so, is the sound anywhere near as good as the 2K2? Or do they even have that option?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
With respect to the square tender question:

The parts sheets show that the square corner tender comes on the #453, the #464, and the black, undecorated (loco numbers 83093, 83094 & 83099, respectively.

Bachmann has done an extremely nice job of duplicating the little quirks of the different locos of this class rathering than passing off a one-size-fits-all approach.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It sounds like they did a great job with the little quirks and even went to the trouble of creating their own. The eccentric crank is improperly positioned for an inside admission locomotive such as the K-27. It leans toward the rear of the loco when the crankpin is at bottom dead center when it should lean forward. I would imagine that an purchaser could alter this to prototype practice, but it is rather disconcerting that they got a lot of small details right and in the process missed something that drastically changes the appearance of the loco that is completely inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
That's why its called a hobby. It gives all of us the opportunity to "fix" things to our personal satisfaction. I personally follow the ten-foot rule, and from that perspective the locomotive looks terrific.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts