G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have purchased aristocraft switch machines but cannot seem to get them to operate the bachmann turnouts on her G scale layout. I pulled the locking springs from one of the turn outs thinking that they were too stiff for the machines to pull the rails over, still no luck. Any help would be appreciated. The turn outs are all ballasted in (it is an indoor layout) and glued down. the points move fairly easy I even tried lubing them with LaBelle 108. Still no joy.

·
Super Modulator
22,356 Posts
Aristo switch motors do not have much "oomph" and this is common. I assume you have tried a second switch machine and have the same results.

One thing that has been done is to put 2 switch machines on the turnout, but that seems wasteful. You might try LGB ones if you can get a good price, or maybe the ones from Train-Li, which are very good.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Pop the top off the machines and have a look under the hood.

There is a small white gear on the motor shaft. All mine were split and therefore loose on the motor shaft. Take them back and exchange them. No amount of epoxy seemed to fix the loose gear.
TrainLi makes a great turnout, but expensive. LGB last better outdoors than anything I've tried. For an indoor layout there is no reason why you can't use Atlas Snap switches made for HO. You will have to make some wood block mounts and sort of adapt them, but Atlas snap switchs are only about $10.00 retail at the local Hobbytown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.